Chapter 57

"Mother, you cannot—mother." Just as Grand Princess Deyi was preparing to board the carriage, her only son, the Kangping Count, Shen Yuan Fei, hurried over, his clothing disheveled. He knelt in front of Grand Princess Deyi and urged. "Mother, if the servants have committed crimes, they should be punished according to the law. We are the subjects of the emperor and cannot bother the emperor for such minor matters."

"But this palace is the emperor's great-aunt. Today, this palace is still here, and these villains dare to come and insult this palace. After this palace passes, how will these people treat you?!" Grand Princess Deyi looked at her son kneeling in front of her and scolded, "You do not have to say more. Today, this palace will enter the palace and have His Majesty get justice."

"Mother..." Shen Yuan Fei was a junior and didn't dare to block the carriage on the street. He could only watch the carriage with the insignia of Grand Princess Deyi leave.

He stood up and grimaced as he bowed to the right assistant minister of the Ministry of Justice. Then he had servants prepare a carriage. He was going to the palace.

Regardless of how discontent Grand Princess Deyi was, she could not take a court official into the palace. Although she said she was going to take the right assistant minister along, she could not do it, so she could only enter the palace alone to cry.

The right assistant minister of the Ministry of Justice saw that the Kangping Count was tactful and returned the bow. He turned and glanced at the grand princess' steward under arrest. "Count Shen, this one bids farewell."

"Assistant Minister, take care." Shen Yuan Fei bowed again. He was tormented inside. If no one had ordered them, the Ministry of Justice wouldn't have dared to come here and arrest people.

To make the right assistant minister of the Ministry of Justice act personally, except for...

"One emperor, one court." Shen Yuan Fei shook his head and sighed, helpless against his mother's impulsive action. This world had changed masters long ago. The new emperor was young but... more ruthless than the previous emperor.

Since last year when the emperor started to govern personally, the court had appeared to have little turmoil. But several officials from the Sima and Li parties had been punished for corruption. All this looked to be coincidence, but in fact, there were things going on.

This emperor was not as mettlesome as the founding emperor in his conduct, but was similar in personality.

"Count, the carriage is prepared." An attendant of the princess establishment reported.

He glanced back at the carriage and hurriedly boarded. "To the palace."

##

In Purple Imperial Hall, Gu Ru Jiu put down her chopsticks and took the teacup a palace maid handed over to rinse her mouth and wash her hands. Before her hands dried, she saw Bai Xian hurry in and say, "Your Majesties, Grand Princess Deyi is crying at the Vermillion Bird Gates and wishes to meet Your Majesty."

Gu Ru Jiu stopped wiping her hands and threw the handkerchief onto the tray. She turned to look at Jin Yang. "It's almost curfew now. Why is the grand princess acting so?"

The grand princess ennobled by the previous emperor was crying at the Vermillion Bird Gates. This wasn't because she had been slighted—she wanted to stain Jin Yang's reputation! If this spread, other people would say that the important people in the place were bullying elders. How would that look?

"Has Grand Princess said why?" Jin Yang took a clean handkerchief from the tray and carefully wiped Gu Ru Jiu's hands for her. He touched the slender delicate fingers and said coolly, "The palace gates have already been locked. Based on the rules, if there is no important matter, the gates should not be rashly opened. Send Zhen's decree. The grand princess is old and Zhen worries the night cold will harm the grand princess' health. She is to be given a peacock coat. Send a female official to ask about the reason."