Chapter 50

"Official Shen." Gu Zhi Yu walked into the courtyard of Duobao's envoy. He ignored the inelegant envoy at the side and first bowed to Shen Qing He.

"Official Gu." Shen Qing He sighed in relief inwardly when he saw Gu Zhi Yu. He and Gu Zhi Yu were officials in the same department. They were both lower third rank vice directors of the Office of State Ceremonies, and frequently worked together. He had entered court as a vice director due to the influence of his grandmother. Compared to Gu Zhi Yu who had been promoted based on experience and ability, he had corresponding talent, but lacked experience.

"Honored Envoy, what are you doing?" After exchanging greetings with Shen Qing He, Gu Zhi Yu looked at the Duobao Envoy. This lead envoy was tall and large, his skin dark, and he appeared extremely strong and good-tempered.

Gu Zhi Yu had not seen this person before, and guessed this person was acting as the envoy for the first time. He said, "Honoured Guests, is there something unsatisfactory?"

The new envoys from Duobao saw this official wore the same robes as the officials who had come earlier and felt reassured. The lead envoy immediately said, "We have come, representing the wishes of Duobao's people, to congratulate the amazing emperor and empress. Why do you not arrange for us to meet His Majesty? Does your honored country look down on Duobao?"

The words were very provocative, and many of the officials from the Office of State Ceremonies frowned.

"Official, since you serve in court, you naturally should know some rules." Gu Zhi Yu looked down and said softly, "When subjects meet His Majesty, they have to pay attention to etiquette and rules."

The envoy from Duobao frowned. "But we came from afar. Is this how Great Feng treats guests?"

"If your honoured country's king requests an audience, the emperor will immediately summon him." Gu Zhi Yu stopped talking and looked with bright eyes at the envoy. "Are you more noble than your honored country's king and my country's emperor?"

The envoy from Duobao almost choked at Gu Zhi Yu's words. But he didn't dare to say that he was more noble than these two people.

"Please, Honoured Guests, do not be angry. We have prepared a special state banquet to welcome all the envoys—please attend." After finishing with the unpleasant words, Gu Zhi Yu immediately put on a smiling face. "The emperor and empress will officially appear then."

The Duobao envoy was slightly displeased by Gu Zhi Yu's words, but after Gu Zhi Yu said a few good words, he found a way to avoid embarrassment and agreed with a smile. Even though Gu Zhi Yu did not say when the state banquet would be held or where, he quickly stopped arguing and even politely saw Shen Qing He and Gu Zhi Yu off.

"Official Gu," Shen Qing He asked in confusion after they left, "why do they become more unreasonable when we treat them with due respect..."

"The people of Duobao are strong in their culture and always restless. Rather than say they have come to congratulate the emperor for his wedding, it is more accurate to say they came to spy on Great Feng's strength." Gu Zhi Yu put his hands behind his back ."So do not be too reasonable with these people. For them, being too reasonable means being easy to bully."

Shen Qing He gaped. "They, they..." What kind of weirdos were they to bully the weak and fear the strong?

"Back when His Majesty first ascended the throne, the Duobao envoy also caused a fuss." Gu Zhi Yu narrowed his eyes. "It was Official Sun who received them. They caused such a large fuss that Official Sun said in anger if they continued, we would cut off our border markets with Duobao and never have relations in the future."

"What happened?" Shen Qing He swallowed. He was puzzled. Wouldn't this cause a diplomatic incident between countries?

"Then they followed the rules and stopped making trouble," Gu Zhi Yu said softly. "This country's conduct is always like this. Just get used to it."