Chapter 75

"Uncle, do you feel better?" Sima Bao walked to the bed and looked at the haggard Sima Hong, his eyes filled with worry and concern. Because his parents had died early, he had grown up in the first branch. To him, Sima Hong was like a father. Now, seeing Sima Hong dying on the bed, his eyes could not help but turn red.

"When people grow old, this day will come sooner or later." Sima Hong coughed. He leaned back in bed and said, "You are around here all day. Do not delay your work."

"Uncle, do not worry; this nephew is fine." Sima Bao tucked in Sima Hong's blanket and then talked about interesting things with his uncle. He was too embarrassed to say to his uncle that, because of the Sima Family losing power, his job in the Ministry of Works had become one of idleness without any real power. If he said this, it would just worsen the condition of his uncle who was already ill.

"Oh." Sima Hong sighed. He took the tea that a servant girl brought over, and drained it. "The emperor has a hard heart. When you work, be careful and do not cause trouble."

"Yes," Sima Bao respectfully answered. Then he helped Sima Hong lie down. "Uncle, rest more. Do not worry about these things."

Sima Hong looked out the window. "What time is it now?"

"It is already nine," Sima Bao answered.

"Is there court today?" Sima Hong suddenly asked. "It is almost the emperor's birthday?"

"Yesterday, there was a small court session." Sima Bao saw that Sima Hong's eyes were closed, and spoke quieter. "It will be the emperor's birthday in three days."

After saying this, he saw that Sima Hong did not react at all, his pale face lifeless. He could not help but put a finger under the other's nose. After confirming that the other was still breathing, he sighed in relief, and softly walked out.

"Second Younger Brother." Sima Zhi saw Sima Bao come out and asked in a whisper, "Is my father sleeping?"

Sima Bao nodded, and then said, "Uncle does not look good. What did the palace physicians say?"

"What else can they say—just that he is weak and needs quiet rest." When Sima Zhi mentioned the palace physicians, he was full of anger. "They are all useless. Seeing the Sima Family lose power, they do less for us." Even if the Sima Family was in momentary decline right now, they were still a first-rank aristocratic family. Were these people allowed to slight them?

"Didn't His Majesty send an imperial physician a few days ago? Those people did not say anything?" Sima Bao frowned. "These people all move with the wind."

"Those imperial physicians are capable, but they can only treat the symptoms, and not the cause." Sima Zhi could not discuss the people the emperor had sent, and changed the topic. "Just now, a servant girl passed me a letter saying that Grand Princess Deyi is ill."

"Let her be ill." Sima Bao did not have many good feelings about Grand Princess Deyi. He said in a cool tone, "If she is ill, it saves trouble."

If his elder cousin's daughter was not married to the grandson of the grand princess, his words would be worse.

Sima Zhi did not argue with him, just saying, "I had my wife send some gifts over. We will not meddle in anything else."

The Sima Family appeared to have lost power. But Prince Rui was making moves in the shadows, and the present emperor was young and promising. He rejoiced inside. Right now, retreating and not being a part of what was happening was a good thing for the Sima Family.

"Since this is the case, then I will arrange it." Sima Bao sighed. "It is late; I should go to the ministry. Uncle is not in high spirits. Elder Brother, have the servants be more careful."