Chapter 76

The birthday of the emperor was not widely celebrated each year. Each time it was done big, there was a reason. For example, a round age, the first year after the marriage. These years had special meaning.

The marriage of a man meant that he was of age. This birthday banquet was to show to the world that he was a husband, that he could become a father and raise the next generation.

The Sima Family being invited this time was within everyone's expectations, but also a surprise. They had expected the eldest branch to be invited. The surprise was that the second branch was also invited. The second branch of the Sima Family had not been kind in their conduct. Everyone had seen, in the years since the emperor took the throne, that he treated the second branch as though they did not exist. Everyone knew this. Now, there was a seat for the second branch at the banquet. Everyone was not used to this.

The outsiders just watched, but Sima Bao was anxious. In the middle of the night, he had shaken Sun shi awake and then asked worriedly, "Do you think the emperor will suddenly want to punish me for my crimes during the banquet?"

Sun shi said sleepily, "Do not worry—even if His Majesty wants to deal with you, he will not do it during the birthday banquet. It would be an ugly thing to hear about. Do not worry, nothing will happen."

Sima Bao felt even more worried after his wife's words. "Then when do you think His Majesty will deal with me?"

Sun shi slowly woke up. She sighed. "Husband, in my view, His Majesty may not have the intention. Of course, he is not very happy to see us. The people all say the present emperor loves his people, is open-minded and kind. He is a rare wise ruler. A person like this will not waste effort scheming because of the past. They see the future, and not the present."

"You mean the emperor will not do anything to us?" Sima Bao was overjoyed, and looked at Sun shi with bright eyes.

"As long as we do not do anything that is an eyesore, there will be no big problems." Sun shi had been married to Sima Bao for many years, and knew that he was afraid of everything, and worried about everything. So she urged him in a low voice, "Our family does not have power or benefit entanglements right now. What could we do to make His Majesty dislike us?"

"You are right." Sima Bao nodded. His worries were greatly eased. "Then in the future, I will be careful when outside the home."

He would stay as far away as possible from beauties and entertainment. It would be fine if he was ignored by the others as long as the family remained safe.

"Okay, go to sleep." Sun shi yawned, and pulled up her blanket. She prepared to turn and sleep. But then Sima Bao suddenly said, "What robes do you think I should wear, to not embarrass the Sima Family and not displease the emperor?"

Sun shi glanced at her husband's ordinary face. She pressed her lips together. "Do not worry—anything you wear will be suitable." Anything he wore would not be eye-catching.

Sima Bao saw his wife had a tired expression, and could only swallow his words. He depressedly shrank back into his blankets, and waited for morning to arrive.

The next morning, husband and wife rode their carriage to the Vermillion Bird Gates, where there was already a long line of carriages waiting.

"The inspection today seems very strict." Sun shi lifted the curtain and looked out. She turned and said to Sima Bao, "I fear that even a fly cannot fly out of the palace."

"It should be more careful when it concerns the safety of the emperor." Sima Bao rubbed his hands together. He appeared very anxious. "I just do not know how much longer it will take until it is our turn to enter the palace." He glanced up, lifting the curtain. He saw there was an inconspicuous gray carriage behind them. He could not see its rank or family insignia.