Chapter 21

"Jungkookie!! It's your turn to catch us!!"

"Okay!!" A loud cheerful voice could be heard as 8 years old Jungkook turned around and closed his eyes, "I will count to 50!"

After finishing his sentence, many sets of giggles filled up the quiet park. Children ran around, basically finding places to hide and win the game.

"1, 2, 3..." Little Jungkook counted the numbers carefully, afraid he might lose  count or something.

"50!" He screamed out the last number extra loudly. He turned around, a bunny smile never left his face as he skipped around to search for his friends.

"Found ya, Seoyoon ah!" Jungkook pointed at the girl hiding behind a tree, giggling loudly.

The girl whined, "Am I the first one who get caught?"

"Yes yes! You can rest on the bench first! I have to find the others!" Jungkook stated and the girl skipped away happily, already forgetting the fact she has lose the game.

Jungkook continued to walk around to find his friend. Suddenly, he heard a soft whimper. He frowned.

He knew people whimper when they're in pain or in fear. So he quickly searches for the source of voice.

Jungkook crouched down, finding the whimpers were out from a small bushes not far away from him. He walked forward and looked through the green object.

He gasped out when he saw a boy curled inside the large bush, "My god! Why are you hiding in a bush?" Jungkook asked. He didn't care if the boy was not his friend, he just knew he had to save the boy.

He grabbed the boy's wrist, frown went deeper when he realized how thin the boy was. "Come out first-" "Go away!"

The boy slapped Jungkook's chubby hand, making Jungkook wince in pain. "Hey! I was trying to help you!"

The boy glared at Jungkook, "I don't need your help!" His voice was hoarse, definitely not a voice that a child should possess.

"My teacher said, snakes, bugs and some fearful creatures all hide in bushes! If you don't get out now, you might get hurt!" Jungkook said, worry laced in his words.

The boy felt a sudden twisting pain in his chest. He tugged his head down.

Even if a random kid cares about me, why do my parents never do so? The boy asked himself.

"I heard your whimper just now, are you okay?" Jungkook asked again, "Can you please get out, for me, for yourself?"

The boy pursed his lips, slowly getting out from the bush. He crawled out, a few leaves stuck on his hair, dirt smeared across his chin.

Jungkook smiled in relief, but the smile didn't last long on his fast. He gasped out, "What happened to your face, and lips?!"

Bruises could be seen on the boy's pale cheeks, forehead and the corner of his eyes. There's a small but deep cut decorated on the corner of the boy's lips.

Jungkook continued checking the boy, just to find out more bruises in other parts of the boy's body.

"You mean those bruises?" The boy spoke and Jungkook nodded his head.

"It's nothing. Small injuries. I've gotten worse before." The boy shrugged.

Jungkook frowned upon the boy's statement. "What do you mean?"

Realizing himself spilling too much information to a random kid, the boy shuts his mouth and shakes his head. "Nothing."

Jungkook bite his lips before saying, "Let's go to the hospital-" "No. You're playing with your friends right?"

"Why-" Jungkook clamped his mouth shut when he earned a glare from the boy.

"Yes, we were playing hide and seek."

"Then continue to play with them. No need to bother about me." The boy said and walked away without sparing glances to Jungkook.

"Hey!!" Jungkook rushed forward and grabbed the boy's shoulder. "What's your name?"

"My name is..." Kim Taehyung.

The boy thought for a while before continuing speaking, "My name is Kim Joon Hyung."

"It's really nice to meet you, Joon Hyung." Jungkook stated, "Do you want to play with us?"

"No thanks." 'Joon Hyung' was about to walk away but Jungkook stopped him again.

"Hey! Aren't you going to ask for my name too?"

'Joon Hyung' sighed a little, "What's your name then?"

"My name is Jeon Jungkook!" Jungkook smiled widely, bunny teeth was shown. He shoved his little hand inside his pocket and took out two plastic wrapped candy out of his pocket.

"Here take it." Jungkook grabbed 'Joon Hyung's hands and placed the candies in his hands, "I don't know what you've gone through but take the candy!"

A hint of happiness appeared in 'Joon Hyung' eyes. He clutched the candy tightly and ran away instantly, leaving Jungkook in an indescribable state.

The boy is weird, and doesn't seem so friendly, but all Jungkook could think about is, what brand of candy should he give to the boy if he got a chance to see him again.

Updated earlier today