Chapter 22: Please, wake up

When you entered the medical ward you saw a dark and cold place. You walked down the empty hallway to where Frey's room was. Your heart was beating faster with every step that you took. You were holding Loki's hand the entire time and squeezing it with every bit of strength that you had in you but he did not say anything.

A few long and painful steps later you were finally outside of Frey's room. You suddenly couldn't feel anything but cold blood running through your entire body. Your heart had probably stopped beating, it couldn't handle it and your hand was now attached on Loki's.

"Darling, I think you need to take a second to breath." Loki turned and said to you.

"No, no. I am fine. Let's go in." You tried to open the door but Loki stopped you. You turned to look at him. He was serious. He was looking deep into your eyes with a worried look. "I can handle it." You reassured him by nodded slowly and without breaking eye contact.

Your palm touched the handle of the door and as you were about to enter the room, the door in front of you opened, by someone else. You immediately took a step back and reached for Loki's hand. Your action was unintentional. You got scared for a moment and you needed to feel safe again. You didn't know who could walk out of that room.

Thankfully in front of you suddenly appeared a familiar face. Tony was the mysterious door opener. At first he looked at you in shock and kept scanning you up and down. It was as if he couldn't believe that you were up already. As if he hadn't expected you to.

"Y-y/n?" The tone of his voice revealed the level of shock that he was in. Even after a few seconds his eyes were still widened. 

You gave him an awkward smile. You really didn't know what to say. The way Tony was acting was weird. It made you feel weird as well. 

"Hey...."

"What are you doing here?" He asked. You were definitely not expecting that kind of reaction. "Why did you let her get up?" He finally turned to Loki with a furious look. "And why didn't you call me the moment that she opened her eyes? Are you crazy, Reindeer Games?" Tony's voice was rising.

"Stark calm down. I made sure she was fine before letting her get up." Loki reassured him as you kept your eyes looked on Tony. It didn't take him long to return the gaze.

He scanned you up and down one last time and then locked eyes with you. You were unsure and worried and Tony didn't fail to notice that. He finally sighed and came a step closer to you. He closed his eyes and took you into his embrace without saying another word. You sighed and relaxed you muscles.

"I am sorry kid." Tony said after a few seconds as he pulled away. "It's just- So many things happened the last few days and we have been a little...on edge." He massaged his temples as he spoke.

"Yeah, Loki told me. I am really sorry about everything..." You said and lowered your gaze.

"No, don't say that again." Tony immediately told you as he lifted your head. "Y/n none of this is your fault. It's all her..."

You sighed and for a few seconds you didn't say anything. You knew very well that Frey was in fact responsible for a lot of the things that happened to you the past few years but she was also so much more. Frey was your sister and she had been though quite a lot herself. She had some trauma that you couldn't just overlook and blame her for everything.

It wasn't that simple. You wanted to be mad at her, you knew you had to, but in the end you just couldn't. Frey had a shitty life and it was not her fault. On some level you could excuse her. But, on the other hand, you just couldn't forget all the things that she made you go through. All the pain that she had caused you and your family and was probably still willing to cause more.