11. lucky doubts

Meanwhile, Imee and Imelda grew worried for Irene. She hasn't left her room yet after they've arrived back in the mansion. The two were accustomed to her chatters every morning but it seems as though they won't be getting it anytime soon.

"Breakfast is ready na po!" Janica called from the kitchen, followed by Manang Celia carrying their plates and utensils to the table. Imee glanced to where they were and frowned when she didn't see Catrina.

"Imee, go get your sister. . ." Mama Meldy said, at tumango naman ng ulo si Imee. Tumayo siya papuntang kwarto ni Irene, sighing as she took quiet steps up the stairs.

Imee was about to knock when she noticed her sister's door was cracked open by an inch. Not only that, she could hear Irene talking to someone. . .even laughing at whatever the other person said.

"Nababaliw na ba 'tong kapatid ko?" She quietly muttered and decided not to pry the door open. "Makiki-chismis nga. . ."

Imee leaned closer to the door, ears perking up until she was satisfied with the things she heard.

"Uhm. . .Cat?" She heard Irene say, her tone growing serious. 'So andito pala si Catrina? Did I miss something?' Imee thought, still trying her best to listen.

"Po?"

"I just wanted to say sorry. . ." Biglang namulat mga mata ni Imee, she couldn't believe what she was hearing. Irene saying sorry? To Catrina? Talagang anong nakain ng kapatid niya at bakit humihingi siya ng sorry?

"Hm? Bakit po?" Catrina asked. Medyo napa usog ng konti si Imee para lang marinig niya yung sinabi ng dalagita.

"Well, I treated you rudely. . .and I admit, I wasn't exactly fond of you at first."

Imee could only smirk. Itong chismis nato ay bagang-baga.

"Naku ma'am, na intindihan ko naman po kayo. . ." Even if Imee was behind this door, only listening in to their conversation, she could definitely tell that Catrina was giving Irene a small smile. This kid had been through stuff, more than they would know, but she still managed to give kindness to those around her.

Imee has never been so thankful for bumping into Catrina. She was beyond glad that someone like this entered her life. . .their life. Catrina made Imee hope for something she once lost and she wished Catrina would be the one to return it.

"—and for that I'm glad." Irene continued, "I wasn't thinking that time. . .because, well. . .iniisip ko parin yung anak ko."

"I know it's been years since that incident happened but. . .I can't control how long I grieve. Nung nakita kita sa tabi ni Manang Imee. . .I couldn't help but feel, I don't know. . ." Irene sadly chuckled. But Imee knew exactly what her sister was thinking, she knew exactly what she would say next.

For years Imee was there to comfort her sister. She was there, day and night coddling her to eat, sleep, and live properly for the many days to come. Every kid Irene saw made her frown and cry, she would get mad and shout at the world. 'Bakit ba ako? Bakit ba yung anak ko pa?' She would often scream.

Imee heard a sigh before Irene carried on, "—I just miss m-my daughter that's all."

Silence followed after that sentence. Imee took that as a sign to knock and pretend she didn't hear anything. Imelda was waiting for them downstairs anyway. . .doon na lang ipatuloy ang pag-chismis niya.

"Knocky, knocky! I hope I'm not disturbing something?" Tanong ni Imee at tsaka dahan-dahan pumasok sa loob ng kwarto.

Upon entering, nakita niyang nakaupo ang dalawa sa sahig. Their close proximity left Imee bewildered. Halos kahapon lang ay hindi sila sang-ayon sa isa't isa.