27. tables turned

If the world was mute and everybody was sightless, and if the ground felt like choppy waves from shallow shores, all of these combined is exactly how Irene would describe this whole experience.

There's nothing more frightening than darkness trying to overcome the light you so badly sought after. Irene felt like something was stolen, as if the world deprived her of its riches.

If justice was blind, then so be it her family.

Irene didn't hug the young girl back. In fact, she stumbled away from her and began sinking on their couch, eyes blurry from everything but the dull wall.

Imelda, Imee, Bonget, and the rest shot her multiple dim gazes, surely questioning her motives. And as she sat there, silent and all, her own family began to dig between the depths of her silence for an answer.

But Imee couldn't blame her. After twelve long years of nothing but yearning and feeling lost, then for only a minute, life has thrown you something bewildering; who wouldn't be appalled?

". . .mom? Are you okay? Do you want me to get you some water?" Luis reached his hand halfway before hesitantly taking it back after receiving a small nudge from his father.

"Hoy, ading. . .are you feeling alright? Kanina ka pa d'yan tulala." Imee softly spoke, exchanging glances with Catrina when Irene didn't say anything.

The whole family felt how the air surrounding Irene shifted. She still hasn't moved from the couch, not even a bit. The young girl gazed at her, before gazing back at Greggy as if to question did she do things the right way.

"Uhm. . .I," Irene paused, making everybody turn to her as she stood. ". . .I think I'll go ahead upstairs." She gave a solemn smile before turning away and headed towards her room.

"Teka, anak. . ." Imelda pleaded, trying to follow her, to which she slightly struggled, seeing how fast Irene walked.

"Wait, Ma. . .I'll talk to her." Greggy brought a reassuring hand to Imelda's shoulder. Not before Bongbong slightly pushed him away, and Imee stepped in.

"No, wait, sandali. Sure ka ba sa gagawin mo, Gregorio?" Imee raised a brow. It's been a while since the two reconciled. . .although you can barely call it that since nothing happened that made the family's bond conform.

"Manang. . ." Now Imelda wasn't the only one Bonget was trying to hold in place; her sister was locking gazes with Greggy and knowing Imee. . .she won't stand if things weren't corrected.

"No, Bonget." Imee shrugged off his brother's arm before facing no one in particular, fingers tugging at her hair in frustration. "See. . .I knew this would happen eh, at tsaka sino ba 'yan?!" She pointed to the young girl; stern was her tone, making the girl scurry towards where Alfonso and Luis were standing.

"It's our daughter. . ." Tahimik na sagot ni Greggy habang nakayuko.

Imee was so frustratingly confused at whatever was happening that she chose to keep quiet and simply walk away.

The rest watched her with shying eyes, while Bonget simply sent Greggy a 'go' signal. Everyone was too distracted to notice him go up to where Irene was currently occupied.

. . .

The mother sat at the edge of her bed. Staring blankly at the dim-wallpapered walls of her own room. Every inch and every corner seemed to scream with such sadness that she felt trapped, breathless, and lost. Irene chewed the tip of her finger, out of anxiety, did she started that habit.

She could feel the tiny silver pendant dangling from inside her shirt; cold did she feel whenever it touched her skin. Perhaps she wasn't ready after all. Almost every wake had she thought of her expressions, what she'd say, how she'd act when the moment came that she'd see her daughter. . .but here she was, alone in her room, thinking if all of this was a dream.