18. an ally

(Catrina's POV)

Hindi ako makapaniwala. Andito na ako sa paaralan kung saan ako pina-enroll ng pamilyang Marcos. Sobrang malawak at malaki yung campus nila, at tsaka maraming magagandang activities na pwedeng gawin.

Naglalakad ako ngayon kung saan ang office ng school. Mayroon din naman ibang mga estudyante na kasama ko papunta doon. Kukuha kasi kami ng class schedule namin kaya required talaga na pumunta sa front desk.

Nakalinya kaming mga studyante, at ako yung ikalawa. Hahakbang na sana ako nang may tumulak pabalik sa akin.

"Aray!"

"—wag ka kasing harang-harang sa dinadaanan ko." Ang taray niyang sagot, tsaka tumawa. Tumahimik na lang ako at sadyang umatras para siya yung ikalawa sa linya.

. . .

"Hoy, babae!" Someone said from behind Catrina kaya napalingon siya at ang tumaray sa kaniya. A girl, no more than the same age as Catrina, glared at the other girl who skipped from the line. "—siya ang nauna diyan. Kaya kung ako sayo, bumalik ka sa likuran kung ayaw mong sapukin kita ng wala sa oras."

"And who are you to tell me what to do?"

"Are you really asking that question?" The girl raised her brow. Catrina just nudged her with her elbow, kindly telling the lady that there's no need to cause a scene. But the girl ignored her and instead kept her gaze on the other callous student.

With a scoff, the girl answered. "I am Harper Stellina Belmonte, and your audacity disgusts me."

Catrina watched as the girl who shoved her, gulped. Her eyes became wide and her whole being shifted from anything but confident.

"B-Belmo-monte?" Utal-utal niyang tanong.

"Bingi kaba?" Harper did a quick once over on her before rolling her eyes, "—Belmonte ako. And don't you ever forget it."

Catrina was slightly confused. Belmonte? What has her surname got to do with all of this?

She watched as the girl stumbled whilst walking at the very back of the line, awkwardly avoiding everyone's eyes on her. Harper however, hummed in response.

She checked her nails, flaunting it in front of her and acted as if nothing happened.

"Bumalik ka na sa linya mo." Sagot ni Harper na hindi tumitingin kay Catrina. Without another word, Catrina followed with a small smile sent the other girl's way.

"Uhm. . .thank you,"

"For what?"

"Sa pagtanggol sa akin kanina. . ."

Harper remained stoic. She looked at Catrina with nothing in her eyes whatsoever before finally uttering a response.

"Dapat kasi ikaw yung nagtatanggol sa sarili mo."

Harper Stellina Belmonte. The only daughter of Asia's tycoon lynx, situated in the Philippines. Her family name carries almost half the riches of Dubai, a very powerful surname that can bring anyone to their knees. She was born rich, her part in their family was to continue their legacy as good doers of the business industry.

They own twelve companies all over the Philippines, and fifteen more in international waters. A million pesos was nothing but an ant's pinch in their bank accounts.