13. halfway united

"Imee, bakit umiiyak 'yan? Catrina inaway kaba ni Josefa?" Imelda partially scolded. She watched as Catrina and Imee approached them. It was clear as day that the young girl cried, her cheeks were almost the color of the roses in the garden and her eyes became slanted.

"—grabe ka mommy!" Imee pouted and rolled her eyes in a joking manner. Natawa naman si Catrina, to which Irene softly smiled at. Her laugh sounded familiar. . .she has a particular melody to it that Irene can't pinpoint.

"Uhm. . .gusto ko lang sana mag-pasalamat," She quietly muttered, earning a few glances from Imelda and Irene. Napa taas kilay naman silang dalawa na mag-ina sa sinabi ni Catrina, curious as to what the girl meant.

"For what hija?" Imelda asked, tucking a strand of hair away from Catrina's face.

"S-sa pagpa-aral niyo ho sa a-akin."

Imelda's features softened, "You're most welcome hija. . .you deserve it."

Napangiti naman si Catrina while struggling to hold her tears yet again. Siniko naman siya ni Imee at natawa.

"Hoy! Bawal ang iyakan dito, dapat happy lang! Eto namang batang 'toh, kanina ka pa umiiyak—"

"Hehe s-sorry po," Pinunasan niya ang kaniyang mukha, her smile never leaving her face. Nahawa naman ang tatlong babaeng Marcos kaya hindi rin nila na pigilan ang kanilang ngiti.

"Oh, don't cry na. Magkaka-wrinkles ka niyan, sige ka." Irene joked as she offered her handkerchief. . .the same handkerchief she handed to Catrina when she was also crying. She made a mental note to give it to her as a small reconciliation gift.

Nagusap pa silang apat habang hinihintay ang luto ni Manang Celia at Janica. They went to the market for a reason, and yes, the incident was somehow unexpected but it led to some turn of events.

Sobrang saya ni Catrina ngayong gabi. Was this the feeling of having a nice, loving home? Was this what it felt like to finally be where you belong?

. . .

It was past five-thirty in the evening. The Marcoses usually ate their dinner around six pm, then have their conversations after. Of course, this startled Catrina.

She never ate dinner on time, nor sleep at the perfect hour, or even do stuff that normal people usually do.

Nasanay na siya sa pinangagawa ng tatay niya. Throughout living with him and being with the Marcos family. . .she realized that everything was different. For instance, she eats her dinner when her father isn't around kasi pinapagalitan siya, either that or she doesn't eat within the whole night at all. Sa pamilyang Marcos naman, kitang-kita ang pagkakasama nila at pagsalosalo sa bawa't isa.

That alone made such a big difference.

All of them patiently sat in the dining table. They were waiting for Imee's boys to arrive before eating, to which was Mama Meldy's order. As always, Imelda was in the head of the table, followed by Imee who was on her right side whilst Irene occupied her mother's left side.

Manang Celia and Janica was still busy in the kitchen, making some last minute preparations and adjustments sa dinner ng pamilya.

Catrina sat two seats far from Irene. Creating a distance from the three Marcos ladies because she felt that it was for family matters only.

"Catrina ang layo mo naman kay Irene, usog kapa." Sabi ni Imee, her hand gesturing for the young girl to move closer.

"A-ah. . .eh, ma'am? Dito na lang po ako—"