12. starting anew

"What happened to her? Bakit parang malungkot 'yon?" Imee referred to Catrina. Three of them were once again, huddled on the couch, noticing the odd behavior the young girl showed earlier.

"May sinabi ka ba sa batang 'yon Irene?" Imee continued, staring at her sister knowingly. She probed on the fact that she heard their conversation prior before, but she was being subtle at giving hints about it.

"H-huh? Bakit ako?"

The look of bewilderment was evident on Irene's face. Oblivious to the fact that Imee was smiling quite vaguely by the corner.

"I mean. . .diba hindi ka sang-ayon sa kaniya? You don't like her, so I'll assume you said something." Imee was enjoying secretly teasing her sister. The look on Irene's face was worth it.

"I didn't say any of that. . ." Irene muttered. Imee was choosing her words carefully; she didn't want her sister to know that she heard the two of them back in the bedroom. 

It's better to sift and tease until Irene confesses herself. No wonder Imee's always needed in the Senate; she has a keen eye and a sharp tongue that cuts through people's lies. Though, Irene avoids lying. . .she's just marvelous at keeping things private.

"By the way," Imee started. "—what was Catrina doing in your room kanina? I was looking for her earlier. Eh, nandoon lang pala siya sayo." She stifled a laugh seeing as Irene's cheeks became pinkish under their fluorescent lights.

"Like I said sa dining table, she comforted me." Mahinang niya sinabi, iniiwasan niya ang tingin ng kanyang Manang dahil unting-unti na siya nahihiya. She had her arms crossed against her chest while her back was slowly slouching against the couch.

"Ah. . .'yon lang? Are you sure? Baka kasi you're not telling us something eh. . ." The one thing Imee learned to get information faster out of, probably everybody, was to annoy and make them doubt what they're going to say.

She could only observe how Irene's facial expressions changed quite drastically, her trick was working. 

Imelda, on the other hand, kept staring at her two daughters and wondered what her eldest was planning on this time. Tahimik lang sila nakaupo ni Janica at pinagmasdan ang dalawang magkapatid. Janica can't help but to let out a small, amused smile at the two bickering. Parang mga bata padin.

"—aish! Manang, ang kulit mo talaga!" Napatawa na lang si Imee habang hinihintay na sabihin ni Irene sa kanila ang nangyari. "I told her what happened twelve years ago. . ."

As if the world stopped spinning, everybody became silent.

Imee expected her sister to say the things she heard, like how she apologized to Catrina, not the fact about the incident that scarred everyone in the family. So 'yon pala ang pinagusapan nila kanina? Before I even went and eavesdropped? Imee thought. Staring at no one in particular while processing what her sister said.

"You did?" Imelda broke the silence, staring at her youngest with furrowed brows. 

"Yeah. . ." Irene sighed, "I guess nadala lang ako sa emosyon, I couldn't keep it in eh. And she asked."

Nabigla si Imee sa sinabi ng kapatid niya. Asked? For years Irene refused to give anyone information on what happened, how she felt, and the aftermath to someone who just 'asked'. Kahit nga pamilya niya hindi alam kung ano na ang dinadama niya. Only Imee knows what her sister truly feels. . .and now, apparently Catrina too.

Catrina must be something special. She was sent for a reason and Imee as well as Irene, was starting to realize that. They are starting to see, whatever it is. . .may bumubukas na sa mga kanilang mata. It is only a matter of time.