21. songs and soirée

Mag-aalas kwatro na at saktong nakarating si Catrina sa bahay ng mga Marcos. The mansion was relatively quiet as she set aside her belongings and took off her shoes in exchange for slippers.

As usual, she took the jeepney to go home kasi wala siyang cellphone for calls as well as she thinks it might be too much of a bother to the family if she needs their car service. Alas, it was all fine for her to either walk home to save money or to take a ride.

Nagtatakang pinagmasdan niya ang buong silid, and without a doubt she felt a sudden sense of deja vu. So, following her instinct, she went to the dining room, where she hoped to find everybody there, sitting and talking.

But to her surprise, walang tao. Ni-isa sa kanila wala sa hapag kainan. Napatanong naman si Catrina sa sarili niya kung tapos na nga ba sila kumain lahat, at siya na lang ang hindi.

Nonetheless, umakyat muna siya para magbihis. Her closet was filled with tons of dresses, skirts, shirts, and pants that Irene bought for her. At sa ilang beses niya sabihan si Irene na hindi niya kailangan bumili para sa kaniya, ay hindi naman nakikinig.

At sa patuloy na pagbili sa kaniya ng mga damit, Catrina doesn't have any choice but to accept, otherwise Irene would be upset.

She wore a simple white shirt and paired it with comfortable grey joggers. To be frank, Catrina doesn't know how to dress herself. . .but she is learning from everyone around her in school. At unti-unti siya nagbabago.

With that, she went down and tried to look for the rest of the family yet again.

"Mga titas. . .?" She softly called out, poking her head at every corner she could find.

"Manang Celia?" Her voice merely echoed around and went back to her, "Mama Meldy? Asan na po kayo?"

"Mga kuya?" Mahina niyang sabi, "Tinatakot niyo na po ako. . ." She cleared her throat. She doesn't like being left alone without any sort of knowledge as to where everyone might be.

Patuloy niyang nilibot ang bahay hanggang sa nakarating siya sa hardin.

The sound of soft conversations and clink from glass cups caught her attention. Turning another corner, these suddenly got louder as she took closer, hesitant steps, towards the entrance of the back garden.

The scene caught her completely off-guard when she was faced with the whole family having a little gathering.

Nakaupo sina Imelda, Imee, at Irene sa mga decorated na upuan. Habang ang tatlong lalaking magkapatid, ay busy sa mga pagkain. Even Manang Celia joined them and had a chat here and there.

Mukhang may birthday ata, pero hindi naman alam ni Catrina kung sino ang celebrant. And plus, nobody told her that there would be a little gathering here tonight. It looks like the party hasn't even started and that the family seemed as though they were waiting for someone.

Hindi pa nila na kita si Catrina habang ito'y palapit sa nag-eenjoy na pamilya. Perplexity radiated from her stare as she approached where the ladies currently sat.

"Mga tita. . .?"

That made Imelda, Imee and Irene turn to look at her. Wide, excited eyes greeted Catrina before she was pulled into a hug by no other than Irene herself.

"Oh my gosh, you're here na! We've been waiting for you, come. Have a seat," Irene motioned for the chair that was positioned between Imee and hers, while it faced Imelda.

"Bakit ho andito kayong lahat? Ano po yung ocassion? Sino po yung may birthday?" Catrina quietly asked to which everyone chuckled. Nagtataka naman yung dalagita kung bakit sila tumawa.