20. evening discussion

Imelda waited for everyone to settle down, or rather for everyone to go to sleep. Everyone did, all except for Imee after her mother pulled her to the side and whispered something in her ear earlier at dinner.

It left her baffled in her seat, glancing at her mother once in awhile as if she couldn't comprehend the things she just mentioned.

Luckily for her, Irene nor Catrina didn't notice anything suspicious. As for her three sons though, they had a knack as to what this 'discussion' was about.

It was still early in the night, seven-thirty to be exact, when Imelda decided to drop the bomb on Imee and the family had just finished their dinner. The three Manotoc brothers took it upon themselves to distract both Catrina and Irene as it was still too early for them to be sleeping anyway.

They decided to binge some movies until Irene noticed Catrina growing sleepier by the second. Until eventually, everybody grew tired and went upstairs to take their rest.

That left Imee and Imelda downstairs, alone and presumably contemplative about this entire situation.

"So," Imee rubbed her arms to at least bring some sort of comfort to whatever she's feeling, "Is it true? What you said?"

Imelda nodded. That made Imee sigh deeply before spacing out.

"I want to find her Imee. . ." Imelda continued, her tone soft and almost like a whisper.

"We all do Ma. . .trust me, we all do. . ."

"I want to start this case again. It's been pushed in the shadows for far too long and it hurts me to see your sister cry every night."

"But where do we start, Ma? Ang laki ng Pilipinas. . .she could be anywhere!"

Imelda sat further in her seat, adjusting herself before turning to face her eldest with dour eyes.

"Tama ka, Imee. She could be anywhere. . .and I mean anywhere, closer than we think."

Imee caught the sudden change in her mother's voice before realizing what she's implying.

"Don't tell me. . ." Imee conjured millions of thoughts all at once before settling with one. Her face remained faint, "Are you implying. . .?"

Imelda clicked her tongue, "—yes I am. And you know I'm not wrong, Imee."

Imee remained quiet. The former first lady could only sigh as her features softened.

"Nararamdaman mo din," Imelda began, ". . .you know this could be a possibility."

They let the words sink in. Engraving it deep, letting it reach their very soul. Up until they came up with a conclusion.

"Besides. . .wala namang mawawala kapag sinubukan natin ulit diba?"

The two agreed. So, it was official. The case was once more, active.

"Okay, but we'll wait for Bongbong, kailangan niya 'to malaman." Imee replied, gnawing at her cuticles before standing up.

Her mother nodded, Imee was about to turn and leave when Imelda stopped her once more.

"Oh, and Imee?"

Lumingon siya, confusion visible in her eyes.

"Don't tell Irene about this. . ."

Imee knew this was not a good idea, but she could also see her mother's point. With one final nod, she left and headed upstairs to her room, leaving Imelda to think about all of this before she, herself, went to bed.

. . .

The next day began. It was relatively normal, everybody went on with whatever agenda they planned and the family never really anticipated something would happen. . .arrive even.