29. false

She was quiet. She had always been. 

But tonight was exact, specific. . .particular. She has the trait of an observer; silence had always been her friend. But she was conditioned to make it her friend. . .she had no choice. Otherwise, the flesh that makes up her entire being would be adorned in yellow, blue, and purple paint. Bruises.

Catrina busied herself in the kitchen with Manang Celia. Hours had long passed since the family had their little cordial reunion. Hours of agonizing smiles from Catrina until they finally decided to have a feast. A family feast. With all of them complete.

Chatters from the living room reached her ears all the way to the kitchen, wincing at every laugh they emitted. Outside, the windows flourished with huge dark clouds. . .rain still poured and blended itself with the growing night sky. 

If there was one thing that connected them, it was that they both felt gloomy—sullen and yet, so comforting. 

"Nakita kita kanina," Catrina pulled herself away from her thoughts and turned to look at Manang Celia. The beldam craned her neck to wherever Catrina was standing, casting a generous side-eye as if motioning for her to start explaining.

The girl remained passive and simply sent her a smile. If anything, comedy was sure to pass this on with success. "Syempre Manang, may mga mata po kayo eh. . ."

"Hoy, bata ka. Tigilan mo ako sa mga ganyan mo ha. . .ang ibig kong sabihin," She stopped, gathering a handful of utensils before giving it to Catrina. "—parang malungkot ka kanina."

As much as she'd like the concern, Catrina couldn't care less about answering the elder's question. At least, not now. She, herself, doesn't know what she felt. And it was better to leave it that way.

"Aish, manang. Nalungkot ako kasi hindi napasa ng classmate ko yung kanyang application sa school. Importante pa naman 'yon!" She reasoned. It was quick and impeccably true, which made it even more convincing.

"Asus! Sure na ba 'yan? Baka niloloko mo ako dito ah. . ." Manang Celia balanced a stack of plates on her right arm and another to her left before facing Catrina with a slightly raised brow.

"Oo nga. . .siya yung nagdala sa'kin sa ospital kanina, kaya hindi niya napasa."

The older woman grew quiet and simply got back to her own job. If Catrina learned anything from being with her father, it was to tell a lie. . .and tell it good. Besides, white lies are harmless unless you taint them dirty, that is.

A series of laughter echoed from the living room yet again, and this time, Catrina made sure her walls were up. For whatever reason, she was guarded once more.

"Nga pala," Manang Celia started, "Ano na pakiramdam mo? Ayos na ba? May masakit pa ba sayo?"

"Hm, okay naman ako. . .wala na masyadong masakit." She hummed a reply. She kept it short, not really bothering to fill it with empty words.

"Pinag-alala mo kaming lahat dito, lalong-lalo't na sila Ma'am Imee at Irene! Nako ikaw talaga! Bawal na nga mag-pagod, ginagawa mo pa rin."

Catrina stopped, she turned to look at the woman. "Nag-alala sila?" Ang mahina n'yang bulong. She peered on the ground, looking at it with cold eyes before looking up again. "Hindi na po mauulit, Manang."

Celia could only shake her head in response before they both headed out, carrying the plates and placemats to the dining room. Catrina was in charge of bringing the glass cups and utensils; arranging them was another of her duty.

Rows upon rows of good food decorated the table. The smell was enough to fill half your stomach. All of this was prepared with such little time, and yet, they turned out amazing. Imelda made sure this feast would go according to plan; she made sure it was perfect.