23. tomorrows with hellos

Waking up in her old clothes from last night made Catrina groan. Sa sobrang pagod niya kagabi ay hindi na siya nakapag palit ng damit. It was far too early and she, of course, has school today.

Kaya wala siyang choice kundi bumangon at maligo. Her uniform hanged by her closet while her things were perfectly aligned on her bed. Her room was the same except for the fact that a small white paper bag gently sat on her bedside table. . .a tiny note embedded on the front.

Kakalabas lang ni Catrina galing sa banyo, bumihis muna siya at pinatuyo ang kanyang buhok bago niligpit ang kanyang higaan.

She still wasn't aware of the added 'decoration' in her room as she continued dusting off her bed before fixing the pillows and the sheets. That until her hand accidentally swept the paper bag off from where it sat. . .making it fall and land on the ground with a small thud.

Tarantang pinulot ni Catrina ang nahulog at tiningnan kung ano nga ba ito at bakit nandito ito sa kwarto niya.

She noticed the small note attached to it, and as she further read what the letter said and peeked inside the bag. . .bigla naman siya napaiyak.

It was from her tita Irene.

But that wasn't all though. . .the thing inside the paper bag costs like half of her allowance. It made Catrina question just how much generosity this family has.

Dear Cat,

Hey darling, I know this might surprise you
but it's meant to be surprising naman talaga. I got you a little gift you could use, don't worry you don't need to repay me. It's called a gift for a reason :)

Open it! I hope you like it aming munting Kit-Cat!

Sincerely,
- Your tita Irene.

The note read. Catrina softly smiled before keeping it in one of her drawers for something to look back into. Dahan-dahan niya naman kinuha ang nasa loob ng bag, and with slightly shaking fingers. . .she opened the small box.

It's not really a big thing for most people, but it was for her. She didn't have the pleasure to receive such things back at her own home, pinagbabawalan siya kasi ng tatay niya kaya wala siyang magawa kundi ngumiti na lang at tanggapin ang desisyon ng tatay niya.

Her fingers delicately touched the screen of the phone. Her phone.

She has no idea how to use it, but andiyan naman mga kuya niya para tulungan siya. . .especially her titas. Even saying that out loud makes her head spin. Hindi niya talaga aakalain na may nahanap pa siyang mga tao na tinuri siyang pamilya.

Her enthusiasm didn't stop there as she raced down the stairs and immediately asked where her tita Irene could be. She wanted to thank the woman. . .give her at least an equal exchange for the gift she gave.

The whole house was still quiet, given that it was quite early in the morning. Some of the helpers greeted Catrina and she did the same.

"Manang Celia? Nakita niyo po ba si tita Irene?"

"Ay nako hija! Maaga 'yon umalis, mukhang may inasikaso na importante. . ."

Napatigil sa ngiti si Catrina, "Ah. . .ganon ba. Sige Manang, thank you po." She planned on thanking her this morning but it seems as though fate and time had other plans, but it was fine. Mayroon pa naman mamaya.