16. sweet solace

After that near hospitalized incident back at the mall, Irene and Catrina finally arrived home. The car came to a halt before Irene completely shut it off.

Lumingon naman siya sa backseat at nakita na nakatulog pala si Catrina. Ang ulo niya ay nakasandal sa bintana ng sasakyan at ginamit niya ang kaniyang kamay para maging unan.

Irene softly smiled at the sight, before gently shaking the young girl awake with her arm.

"Hey, sweetie? Gising na. . .andito na tayo," Mahina niyang sabi. Irene waited for Catrina to stir awake but alas, she didn't.

So she tried again.

"Catrina? Darling, wake up we're here. . ."

The young girl softly groaned but she didn't wake up. Instead, she snuggled a lot more closer towards the car's window. Irene couldn't help but sigh, at least she knows that the medication was working.

Bumaba muna siya sa kotse at tinawag si Borgy, she needed him to carry Catrina up to her room kasi mukhang hindi na babangon yung bata.

"Hey Borgs, can you help me muna?"

"Oh, yeah of course tita. What is it?" Tanong ni Borgy, he had his brow raised at mukhang nataka kung ano ang ipapagawin ng tita niya sa kaniya.

"Doon na lang tayo sa car, may papakita ako sayo."

He nodded and followed his aunt, the car wasn't that far parked into their garage kaya madali lang yung nilakad nila. While approaching the vehicle, he started to notice Catrina's outline inside.

"Can you carry her? Hindi siya kasi gumigising eh. . ."

"Did something happened ba? Bakit parang pagod na pagod 'to?" He started before slowly opening the car door and guiding Catrina's head. Borgy slowly lifted her up before turning to his aunt for her response.

"I'll explain later," With that, Borgy nodded as both of them entered the mansion. Dala-dala ni Irene ang kanyang mga pinamili at agad namang inilapag sa couch nila ang mga paper bags.

"Irene! You're here, salamat naman! Kanina pa kitang hinahanap—" Before Imee could continue, she was interrupted by her sister who hushed her and gestured at a sleeping Catrina in Borgy's arms.

Napataas naman ng kilay si Imee at parang tinatanong kung ano ba ang nangyari gamit ang mga mata niya. Imelda was beside her with the same expression. She too, was waiting for her youngest to arrive back home and wondered what happened to Catrina.

Mike and Matthew saw their brother entered and also asked what happened.

"Uy? Si Catrina ba 'yon?"

"Yes, siya 'yon." Irene sighed before trailing her eyes at Borgy. The eldest Manotoc brother entered Catrina's room before quietly leaving and met with the people downstairs.

"Okay, what happened?" Imee immediately asked after hearing Borgy close Catrina's bedroom door. She was concerned and Irene could clearly tell.

Imee's three children along with Imelda, waited for Irene's explanation. Everybody was on edge.

"I almost rushed her to the hospital."

"—what?! Bakit?! Maynangyari ba ng biglaan?"

With a deep intake of breath, Irene explained. "She had an allergic reaction kanina sa mall, I didn't know na allergic pala siya sa nuts. . .and I forgot to ask her kaya ayon. . ."

"Did you let her drink medicine?" Tanong ni Imelda, to which Irene slowly nodded.

"She was in the verge of passing out kanina kasi she couldn't breathe. . .mabuti na lang at may EpiPen akong dala." Irene continued, sitting beside her purchases before facing her family once more.