22. heartstrings

Catrina quietly whispered what song she'd sing to Vinny. Napangiti naman ang kuya at nag-thumbs up before playing with the strings and testing the cords.

She hears this song being played on the radio multiple times, and her brain quickly got accustomed until it was engraved in her head.

She cleared her throat before giving her kuya Vinny the 'go' signal. The adults swayed a bit, getting familiar with the beat. Irene recognized the song with just a few rhythmic strums from Vinny.

"When I was just a little girl, I asked my mother what will I be." Almost everybody stopped smiling. Stunned the moment she delivered the lines. "Will I be pretty? Will I be rich? Here's what she said to me. . ."

It was Que Sera, Sera. A song Irene hummed when they were driving back home from the mall. The woman couldn't believe na alam pala ni Catrina ang kanta. It was an old song, and it wasn't exactly known either. So everyone just sat there in silence while the young girl sang, softly smiling.

"Que sera, sera. Whatever will be, will be. . .the future's not ours to see. . .que sera, sera. . .what will be, will be."

Imelda smiled and swayed her finger, clearly enjoying how Catrina beautifully sang the song. She sounds like the actual audio recording of the song kaya kahit si Matt napatahimik bigla at napaupo. He was winded and so were the others.

Irene hummed along, tapping her lap with the palm of her hands as she smiled at the young girl who seemed to be up in the clouds with no one else but her.

"When I grew up and fell in love, I asked my sweetheart what lies ahead. . ." Catrina couldn't even see the pride radiating off of their faces, she was busy in a world of her own. ". . .will we have rainbows day after day? Here's what my sweetheart said."

This time, Mike along with his brothers, quietly sang along with her.

"Que sera, sera. Whatever will be, will be. . .the future's not ours to see. . .que sera, sera. . .what will be, will be."

Everyone casually swayed along with the song, now getting accustomed to how good Catrina's voice was. And whilst Catrina was busy hitting the notes, hindi naman mapakali si Bonget at nakipagchikahan sa kanyang Manang.

"She sounds like Irene, don't you think?" Tanong niya, he whispered so only him and Imee could hear.

"Alam ko kung anong ginagawa mo Bonget." Imee mumbled, taking another sip from her almost empty glass of wine. "Mamaya kana. . ." Sagot niya at itinaboy yung mukha ni Bonget palayo sa kaniya.

"Now I have children of my own, they ask their mother, what will I be. . .will I be handsome? Will I be rich?" Catrina slightly lowered her note to achieve the next line. "I tell them tenderly. . ."

Halos lahat na sila naki-sing along sa dalagita for the last chorus of the song. Mike was waving his arms up in the air habang tinatawanan siya ni Simon.

Imelda even harmonized with the girl, effectively giving everyone goosebumps.

"Que sera, sera. Whatever will be, will be. . .the future's not ours to see. . .que sera, sera. . .what will be, will be. . ." Catrina took a quick breath before letting out the long note at the end. ". . .que sera, sera!"

By the time the song ended, nagsipalakpakan ang pamilya habang si Catrina ngumiti lang ng husto. She was slightly overwhelmed by how much compliments she was showered with. Her six kuyas almost broke everyone's eardrums at how loud they were shrieking.

"Whoo! Ang galing!" Imee exclaimed, patting Catrina's cheeks before clapping again. And yes, Imee was slightly tipsy by the time the young girl ended.

"Bigyan ng jacket 'yan!" Sigaw naman ni Matt habang nagsitawanan ang iba. That made Catrina chuckle before accepting the water that was handed to her by Irene.