48. sincerely, yours

The atmosphere grew denser and denser as the family anticipated whatever Imee meant from her words. Liza could feel her heartbeat increasing, after all. . .she could be right about what she had been thinking.

Greggy sat all confused. Just like his wife, both were massively oblivious to the trickery happening right under their noses. They were far too engrossed with playing happy families that they didn't even stop to question if it was real.

"Lalabas din ang katotohanan. . .at ngayon 'yon."

Irene stared at her sister as if she just said something ridiculous. "What? Anong katotohanan ang pinagsasabi mo?"

The woman frowned at the thought that her older sister saw this as a game. Not to mention, the cliches she spat as if they were in sit-coms. She expected more from her older sister, it seems like she has gone mad.

Or so, that's what she thinks.

"I conducted an investigation and performed a DNA test between you and Catrina. Now, I know how this might sound bu—"

"—what. . .?!"

Irene was hardly gripping anything, but her knuckles turned ghost-white. Her lips curled into shock and utmost sneer. "You what?! Ano?! Please tell me mali yung narinig ko. . .what the hell do you mean investigation?! DNA test?!"

Each sprout of question turned into thunderbolt of distress as Irene grew more and more enraged. The thought of her sister doing that without her consent, without even informing her, merely giving her an idea about it; sent unending turmoil despite her attempt at stoicism.

"No, you heard it right. Me, Mommy, and Bonget started looking further into the girl and—"

Irene stopped her right there. That was the last straw as she turned around and looked at the people mentioned. She was in absolute disbelief. Not only does she feel like she was double-crossed, the idea of her mom and brother on this operation made her even more infuriated. And she had every right to.

"Wait sandali. . .they are in it too? Don't tell me lahat kayo are on this ridiculous investigation?! Huh!" She scoffed. Irene's tone got higher everytime she spoke. The anger burned her heart, deliberately consuming it whole.

"This is the life of my daughter we are talking about! This is not a game! How. . .dare. . .you not tell this to me? Ganon na lang ba talaga?! I thought we don't keep secrets here!" She spat. Such grit could be heard in her tone. "Especially sa pamilya. Lalong-lalo na kung tungkol sa pamilya. . ."

Irene tugged at her hair. "I can't believe this!"

"Irene, dear. . .calm down please." Imelda approached her daughter, grabbing her gently by the elbows and letting her face upfront. "Calm down. . .anak."

". . .no, mom. I won't calm down. You guys just lied to me. . .you kept a huge secret! And you expect me to calm down?!"

"Irene listen to us first—" Imee tried to interfere. She carefully approached Irene, noting her temperament at hand.

"—no, you listen! I can't believe you Manang! I thought you understood me? Why. . .why did you do that huh?! Akala ko ba masaya ka na masaya na ako?" Irene was shouting, but not loud enough that everyone outside could hear. She still was poised despite feeling like grappling someone.

"Listen first. . .I'm trying to explain here. I am glad that you're happy. I really am." Imee stood beside her mother. Imelda held Irene quite closely, as if coddling her like a little child. The woman was still filled with rage to cry it all out.

"Oh, ayan naman pala. Then why are you still meddling, ate? Nahanap na namin si Amaris. . .buo na yung pamilya ko ate. . .why are you taking that away from me?" Irene's voice grew soft and fragile. Imee could hear how it cracked at every sentence.