19. glares and gardens

The two adults arrived and gently dragged Catrina inside. She noticed that this place was quite hidden and not a lot of people visit, so it was perfect for the two Marcos women.

"You'll love their Bulalo here, and also their Kare-Kare!" Imee blabbered to which Irene nudged her with her elbow and shushed her.

"Pagbigyan mo na si Manang. Kung sa pagkain talaga, madal-dal 'yan." Irene went and chose their table, occupying the seat near at the far edge of the place. Si Imee naman, ay agad tumingin sa glass display kung saan nilalahad yung mga pagkain.

"Cat, come with me. Pili tayo ng ulam." Imee then turned to her sister with questioning eyes, "Okay ka lang ba dito, Ading?"

"Yes, Manang. Pumili lang kayo doon, you know naman my favorite diba?"

Imee nodded before pulling Catrina's arm and dragged her towards the glass display. Their eyes roamed around all kinds of dishes, each looking delectable as ever.

Imee along with Catrina, kept looking around and pointed to whatever she'd like to eat. The woman also let Catrina pick her own with the exemption that the Marcoses would pay.

"Pili ka lang diyan, kami na ang bahala sa bayad."

They've been here many times before, and Catrina knew how stubborn they'd be if she refused. So instead, she agreed and went along their way.

Not long after, the three sat at their own table, happily munching on some delicacies as well as enjoying how their conversation was going.

The two Marcos women witnessed Catrina's very first spoonful, they anticipated if she would like the food or not. . .and they weren't disappointed. Catrina's eyes lit up at napadami nadin yung kain niya, natawa naman ang dalawa sa kaniya at hinayaan siyang kumain ng marami pa.

"Ang sarap nga!"

"Okay, dahan-dahan lang baka masamid ka." The two could only chuckle when the young girl nodded and kept eating, clearly ignoring what they said.

"So," Irene started, fixing her plate and setting it aside to leave some room for her elbows. "How do you like your new school? Is it nice ba? Naku tell me kung may nam-bubully sa'yo ha. . ."

Catrina chuckled at that, "—wala pa naman po tita."

"Anong wala pa? Siguraduhin mo talaga na wala, kasi ako yung makakaharap nila." Imee joined in, glaring at nobody in particular.

"Relax mga tita, first day ko palang po. . ."

They continued to eat hanggang sa kailangan na ni Catrina bumalik sa school at ipagpatuloy ang mga introductions ng mga teachers, staff, and of course classmates niya.

Imee and Irene said their goodbyes after dropping Catrina off as they headed to their own agendas.

. . .

The whole day consisted of Catrina being in school, Imee running errands in the Senate, Irene managing her own business, whilst the three Manotoc brothers went out to catch up with some friends and Imelda was left at the mansion, tending to her own garden.

The former first lady noticed how clean and tidy the back gardens had been. She never told anyone from the helpers to tend it all except on Thursdays. But she hasn't asked anybody in weeks, and so this strange phenomena, rather placed her in perplexity.

Weeds were not found in any crevices of the ground. Flowers quite literally bloomed and danced with the breeze, as if the garden was alive.

"Manang Celia?" Imelda called, still observing the wonders she could find within the perimeter of her peripheral.

She heard the hastened footsteps of one of her trusted helpers, before it stopped just right by her side.