36. The Nightmare of Christmas

- Elijah Monroe - 

- Elijah Monroe - 

I woke up, sweat dripping down my back and forehead.

I felt hot all over; like I was in a fire.

Like I was in the burning house, watching them die right before me.

They had died for me, while I just sat there and watched them die.

I was helpless at the time, but they had died with the people who had tortured us.

They had died at the hands of the people that had murdered my parents, stolen my sister from the lady my grandfather and father trusted and they had tortured Gio, myself and Leo.

None of us were the people that everyone saw at the parties.

We weren't the people that were picture perfect.

We had deep medical histories; a file full of our injuries and medical conditions.

Did Georgia know? No.

Why? Because it would hurt her to know that we had been through what she had been through, only for not as long.

"Lijah?" someone opened my door so that the light from the hallway could filter into my bedroom.

"Come here Leo" I then opened my arms, which signalled for Leo that he could come over.

He shut the door before walking towards me, collapsing in my arms.

I could feel the sweat running down his back.

We had both been there when they died, we just got out because our brothers came at the right time.

"When will it stop? When will it stop hurting?" Leo cried out through his sobs, as I just rubbed his back.

I didn't know when it would stop.

When we would finally be the people that everyone else saw.

When we would all stop hurting and be who we were born to be.

Killers. Murderers.

That's what the mafia is.

But some people don't deserve to be killed or tortured.

Georgia didn't deserve to be tortured.

Leo and Gio didn't.

I didn't.

But we were because of what our parents, cousins, uncles, aunties, grandparents, older siblings, and everyone else does.

"I thought you would be in here" Gio then entered my room, followed by Alessandro.

I had heard someone walk passed, but I assumed it would have been Georgia, but it must have been Gio going to get Alessandro.

"Was it the same as last time?" Ales questioned, his voice softer than I had heard him speak to us of late.