Meet BECKY

Have you ever woken up from a really intense dream, I mean like a dream that felt so real you would swear it actually happened?

That's what I did, or thought I did.

I came awake with a start, jerking up to a sitting position and looking around me like a man expecting to be attacked. My eyes darted around the room, my breath was shallow and rapid, and my heart was leaping in my chest like a jackhammer.

And I was not in my house.

I was in a bedroom I did not know, in a bed I did not know, and wearing a pair of pajama pants I had never owned before.

Okay, hyperventilating, panicking, head spinning. none of this was good. None of this made sense!!

Where was I?

How did I get here?!

Moving slowly, I eased out of the bed and onto my feet.

And nearly fell over.

My sense of balance was off for some reason, everything felt ...off. Things felt slightly smaller, further away, like either they didn't fit or...or I didn't fit?

Why would I not fit?

That was weird!

OKay, deal with that later. Right now, figure out where I am.

I moved to the door and stepped out into a hallway I did not recognize at all. It was paneled in light woods that matched the floor, while the ceiling seemed to be a kind of open concept idea, with bare, polished support beams in a vaulted ceiling overhead that gave it a slightly rustic feel. There were big, open windows to let in lots of sunlight, and the whole place felt bright and airy, while still having a touch of a homey, what my Dutch grandma would call, "huiselijk" throughout it all.

I moved down the hall to some stairs and went down them, looking around for anyone who might be around, anyone who could give me an explanation as to what was going on. But there was nobody. 

The kitchen was a very modern setup with a refrigerator that had double doors whose metallic gleam matched the stove and the dishwasher. There was a lot of space in the cooking area, as well as an island in the middle, and a table and chairs set in a windowed nook that looked out over the sandy beach.....

...the beach?!!!

There were no beaches where I lived!

But there it was; a beautiful sandy beach that spread out to either side of the house in golden lines that softly glimmered in the bright sunlight.

"Okay, Alex, time to wake up now," I said softly, hoping that this really was just a dream, and one I would wake up from very soon!

Then I saw a man looking at me from the living room. 

Startled, I gave a shout and jumped back....

...and flew out of the kitchen to crash in the living room!

What?!!!

Without thinking, I flipped up onto my feet with all the ease and grace of Jackie Chan mixed with a ballerina. I did not just flip up, I flowed from my back to my feet as if my body were being pulled up by invisible strings. Seriously, I moved like I had seen gymnasts and dancers do! 

"Alex, wake up!" I nearly shouted, looking around me for someone to give me answers. 

That guy in the other room!

I slowly made my way to where I had seen him and found myself looking into a spacious study/den area, complete with a big antique wooden desk with a roller top, a leather-backed desk chair, a couch, and two seats set by a fireplace. But the room was empty.

Then I saw the mirror.

Oh no....no...no...nonono.....

I moved to the oval-shaped mirror and slowly stepped in front of it.

There he was, the man I had seen looking at me. He had black hair, gray eyes, strong features that would be considered very good looking by many, and the kind of eyebrows that made his eyes look like they were always in shadow.