I. TEN YEARS LATER

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

Nearly ten years had passed since the Dursleys had woken up to find their niece and nephew on the front step, but Privet Drive had hardly changed at all. The sun rose on the same tidy front gardens and lit up the brass number four on the Dursleys' front door. It crept into their living room, which was almost the same as it had been on the night when Mr. Dursley had seen that fateful news report about the owls. Only the photographs on the mantelpiece showed how much time had passed. 

Ten years ago, there had been lots of pictures of what looked like a large pink beach ball wearing different-coloured bonnets, but Dudley Dursley was no longer a baby. Now the photographs showed a large blond boy riding his first bicycle, on a carousel at the fair, playing a computer game with his father, being hugged and kissed by his mother. The room held no sign at all that another girl and boy lived in the house, too.

Yet Euphemia 'Mia' and Harry Potter were still asleep at the moment, but not for long. Their Aunt Petunia was awake and it was her shrill voice that made the first noise of the day.

"Up! Get up! Now!"

Mia woke with a start, her ginger hair flying around as she sat up. Her aunt rapped on the door again.

"Up!" she screeched, smacking the door. "NOW!"

Mia rolled her eyes as she heard her aunt walking toward the kitchen and then the sound of the frying pan being put on the stove. She rolled onto her back and tried to remember the dream she had been having. It had been a good one. There had been a flying motorcycle in it. She had a funny feeling she'd had the same dream before. She sat up and sighed.

"Harry," Mia said, shaking her brother awake. "Harry, get up." 

Harry woke up with a start as they heard their cousin Dudley running down the stairs. They heard him stopping, then running back up. The twins looked at each other, grabbed their pillows and put them over their heads as Dudley jumped up and down, making sawdust go falling onto their heads. Mia sneezed as she rubbed her freckled nose.

Dudley's birthday, how could they have forgotten? The twins got slowly out of bed and as Mia opened the door, Dudley came running down the stairs, pushed Mia back into the cupboard, making her and Harry fall over as he slammed the door with his foot and ran into the kitchen.

"I hate that fat pig," Mia groaned as she sat up and started looking for socks. 

"So do I," Harry said, grabbing a pair of socks as Mia found a pair under her bed and, after pulling a spider off one of them, put them on. Mia was used to spiders, because the cupboard under the stairs was full of them, and that was where she and Harry slept.

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

When the twins were dressed, they went down the hall into the kitchen. The table was almost hidden beneath all Dudley's birthday presents. It looked as though Dudley had gotten the new computer he wanted, not to mention the second television and the racing bike. Exactly why Dudley wanted a racing bike was a mystery to Mia, as Dudley was very fat and hated exercise, unless of course it involved punching somebody. Dudley's favourite punching bag was Mia and Harry, but he couldn't often catch them. The twins didn't look it, but they were very fast.