XVII.CHRISTMAS AT HOGWARTS

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

"Nonsense! Why would Snape put a curse on Mia's broom?"

It was after the match and Mia, Harry, Ron and Hermione were walking through the courtyard. The group of four looked at each other, wondering what to tell him. 

Mia decided on the truth, she couldn't lie to Hagrid.

"Who knows?" Mia asked, "why was he trying to get past that three-headed dog on Halloween?" Hagrid turned to them, suspiciously.

"Who told you 'bout Fluffy?" he asked as Mia raised an eyebrow.

"Fluffy?" Ron asked surprised.

"That thing has a name?" Hermione asked shocked. 

"Well, of course, he's got a name," Hagrid said like it was obvious, "he's mine. I bought him off an Irish feller I met down at the pub last year. Then I lent him to Dumbledore to guard the. . . ."

"Yes?" Harry asked eagerly as Hagrid looked at them. 

"Shouldn't have said that," he said, "no more questions! Don't ask any more questions. That's top secret, that is."

"But, Hagrid," Mia said, "whatever Fluffy's guarding, Snape's trying to steal it."

"Codswallop," Hagrid said, dismissing it, "Professor Snape is a Hogwarts teacher."

"Hogwarts teacher or not, I know a spell when I see one," Hermione said. The afternoon's events certainly seemed to have changed her mind about Snape. "I've read all about them. You've got to keep eye contact and Snape wasn't blinking."

"Exactly," Mia said with a smug grin. Hagrid sighed as he looked at them.

"Now, you listen to me, all four of you," he said, "you're meddling in things that ought not to be meddled in. It's dangerous. What that dog is guarding is strictly between Dumbledore and Nicholas Flamel." 

Mia has the same grin on her face that her father had whenever he was about to cause mischief as Hagrid looked furious with himself.

"I shouldn't said that," he said to himself. "I should not have said that." He walked away, mumbling to himself as Mia turned to her friends. 

"Well, we have to find out who Nicholas Flamel is now," she said as Ron nodded.

"More work," he added as Mia groaned. 

"Fantastic," she said sarcastically.

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

Christmas was coming. 

One morning in mid-December, Hogwarts woke to find itself covered in several feet of snow. The lake froze solid and the Weasley twins were punished for bewitching several snowballs so that they followed Quirrell around, bouncing off the back of his turban. The few owls that managed to battle their way through the stormy sky to deliver post had to be nursed back to health by Hagrid before they could fly off again.