XCIX. THE FIRST TASK

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

"Well, now we're all here, time to fill you in!" said Bagman brightly. "When the audience has assembled, I'm going to be offering each of you this bag," he held up a small sack of purple silk and shook it at them, "from which you will each select a small model of the thing you are about to face! There are different, er, varieties, you see. And I have to tell you something else too. . . ah, yes. . . your task is to collect the golden egg! Eldest first," he said, offering it to Fleur Delacour.

She put a shaking hand inside the bag and drew out a tiny, perfect model of a dragon, a Welsh Green. It had the number two around its neck and Mia knew, by the fact that Fleur showed no sign of surprise, but rather a determined resignation, that she had been right. Madame Maxime had told her what was coming.

The same held true for Krum. He pulled out the scarlet Chinese Fireball. It had a number three around its neck. He didn't even blink, just sat back down and stared at the ground.

Cedric put his hand into the bag, and out came the blueish-gray Swedish Short-Snout, the number one tied around its neck. Knowing what was left, Mia put her hand into the silk bag and pulled out the Hungarian Horntail, and the number four. It stretched its wings as she looked down at it, and bared its minuscule fangs.

"Well, there you are!" said Bagman. "You have each pulled out the dragon you will face, and the numbers refer to the order in which you are to take on the dragons, do you see? Now, I'm going to have to leave you in a moment, because I'm commentating. Mr. Diggory, you're first, just go out into the enclosure when you hear a whistle, all right? Miss. Potter, to make it fair for everyone, no using your powers." Mia nodded before he left the tent as Mia tied her long ginger hair up into a messy ponytail. She walked towards the side of the tent and sighed.

"Potter!" someone hissed. Mia furrowed her eyebrows and walked out of the tent and saw Draco standing there. She sighed as she looked up at him.

"If you're here to tell me that you hope the dragon burns me or. . . ."

"I'm here to wish you good luck," he said as Mia looked at him surprised. 

"I, what?" she asked.

"I noticed Potter, Granger and Weasley aren't here and haven't been since your name got called," he said, "so, this way at least someone is wishing you good luck." Mia looked at him, rather taken back.

"Thank you," she said as he gave her a small smile. 

"You have thought of how to get the egg right?' he asked as she hesitated.

"Not really," she admitted.

"Well, you're the Gryffindor Seeker for a reason," he said as Mia furrowed her eyebrows. "Your broom Potter. Use it, the spell is Accio, but you should know that. It will bring your broom to you and use it." Mia smiled as she nodded.