XVIII. MIRRORS IN CLASSROOMS

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

That night, Mia wrote a note to Mrs. Weasley, thanking her for the Christmas presents. 

Dear Mrs. Weasley,

Thank you so much for my Christmas presents! They mean the world to me and I have never received such a kinder gift. I wanted to get you something in return, but I wasn't sure what to get you and your family so please these coins (I'm still not sure of which ones are which, so I just put in a handful) to get yourselves something lovely.

I hope you've had an amazing Christmas!

Love Mia 

With the note, she attached a little brown bag and included twenty gold Galleons, thirteen silver Sickles and nineteen bronze Knuts. She sent the letter and the small sack of coins with Prongs and sent him to Mrs. Weasley's house.

After Mia sent the letter, the Invisibility cloak caught her eye and she grinned. The whole of Hogwarts was open to her in this cloak. Excitement flooded through her as she stood there in the dark and silence. She could go anywhere in this, anywhere, and Filch would never know.

Wrapping the cloak around her tiny body, she crept out of the dormitory, down the stairs, across the common room, and climbed through the portrait hole.

"Who's there?" squawked the Fat Lady. Mia said nothing. She walked quickly down the corridor.

Mia said nothing. She walked quickly down the corridor. Where should she go? She stopped, her heart racing, and thought. And then it came to her. The Restricted Section in the library. She'd be able to read as long as she liked, as long as it took to find out who Flamel was. She set off, drawing the Invisibility Cloak tight around her as she walked. 

The library was pitch black and very eerie. Mia lit a lamp to see her way along the rows of books. The lamp looked as if it was floating along in mid-air, and even though Mia could feel her arm supporting it, the sight gave her the creeps. 

The Restricted Section was right at the back of the library. Stepping carefully over the rope which separated these books from the rest of the library, she held up her lamp to read the titles. They didn't tell her much. Their peeling, faded gold letters spelled words in languages Mia couldn't understand. Some had no title at all. One book had a dark stain on it that looked horribly like blood. 

The hairs on the back of Mia's neck prickled. Maybe she was imagining it, maybe not, but she thought a faint whispering was coming from the books, as though they knew someone was there who shouldn't be. She had to start somewhere. Setting the lamp down carefully on the floor, she looked along the bottom shelf for an interesting- looking book.