CXIX. DEMENTORS IN LITTLE WHINGING

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

The hottest day of the summer so far was drawing to a close and a drowsy silence lay over the large, square houses of Privet Drive. Cars that were usually gleaming stood dusty in their drives and lawns that were once emerald green lay parched and yellowing, for the use of hosepipes had been banned due to drought. Deprived of their usual car-washing and lawn-mowing pursuits, the inhabitants of Privet Drive had retreated into the shade of their cool houses, windows thrown wide in the hope of tempting in a nonexistent breeze.

Fifteen-year-old Harry Potter was sitting in the park, waiting for his twin sister. He was a skinny, black-haired, bespectacled boy who had the pinched, slightly unhealthy look of someone who has grown a lot in a short space of time. His jeans were torn and dirty, his T-shirt baggy and faded, and the soles of his trainers were peeling away from the uppers. He was sat alone on the park swing when the sound of footsteps got his attention. He looked up and his green eyes landed on a short, skinny ginger girl walking towards him with headphones over her pierced ears with a backpack on. She was paler, paler than usual, with dark bags underneath her eyes. 

Over the summer, something in Mia Potter changed. She was no longer the sarcastic, funny teenager she was the pervious summer. She was more reserved, more isolated than what she was. She developed an addiction to Opioids over the summer after some of Dudley's gang found it funny to give them to her and within a week, she was hooked. Many times Harry tried to stop her, but it resulted in them having some of the biggest arguments they've ever had, and Mia being hospitalised more than once. She refuses to talk about her problems, her trauma from the pervious months. 

"Mia, you came," Harry said as Mia looked at him and sat on the swing next to him. She took her headphones off, putting them around her neck as Kate Bush's song 'Running Up That Hill' came out of her headphones quietly. "How are you?"

"Fine," she said as she opened her backpack and got out four small white tablets and popped them in her mouth and took a sip of her bottled water. 

"Mia," he said as the younger girl glared at him. 

"What?" she snapped.

"Nothing," he said as Mia rolled her eyes.  

"He squealed like a pig, didn't he?"

The twins looked up and Mia knew who those people were. The figure in front was unmistakably her cousin, Dudley Dursley, accompanied by his faithful gang.

Dudley was as vast as ever, but a year's hard dieting and the discovery of a new talent had wrought quite a change in his physique. As Uncle Vernon delightedly told anyone who would listen, Dudley had recently become the Junior Heavyweight Inter-school Boxing Champion of the Southeast. 'The noble sport', as Uncle Vernon called it, had made Dudley even more formidable than he had seemed to Mia and Harry in their primary school days when he had served as Dudley's first punchball.