LV. JUST LIKE MAGIC

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

A patch of scarlet swam past, and Mia heard a soft clatter of claws beside her.

"F-Fawkes," said Mia, her voice shaking. "You were fantastic, Fawkes, I just wasn't quick enough."

She felt the bird lay its beautiful head on the spot where the serpent's fang had pierced her. She could hear echoing footsteps and then a dark shadow moved in front of her. Mia blinked. Fawkes's head slid in and out of focus. Thick, pearly tears were trickling down the glossy feathers.

"Remarkable, isn't it?" Riddle said taunting Mia, "how quickly the venom of the Basilisk penetrates the body. I guess you have little more than a minute to live. You'll be with your dear Mudblood mother soon. I'm going to sit here and watch you die, Euphemia Potter. Take your time. I'm in no hurry."

Mia felt drowsy. Everything around her seemed to be spinning.

'If this is dying,' thought Mia, 'it's not so bad.'

Even the pain was leaving her. But was this dying? Instead of going black, the Chamber seemed to be coming back into focus. Mia gave her head a little shake and there was Fawkes, still resting his head on Mia's arm. A pearly patch of tears was shining all around the wound, except that there was no open wound, just a deep scar on her arm.

"Phoenix tears. . . ." said Riddle quietly, staring at Mia's arm. "Of course. . . . healing powers. . . . I forgot. . . ."

He looked into Mia's face. 

"But it makes no difference. In fact, I prefer it this way. Just you and me, Euphemia Potter. . . . you and me. . . ."

He raised the wand.

Then, in a rush of wings, Fawkes had soared back overhead and something fell into Mia's lap, the diary.

For a split second, both Mia and Riddle, wand still raised, stared at it. Then, without thinking, without considering, as though she had meant to do it all along, Mia seized the basilisk fang on the floor next to her and plunged it straight into the heart of the book.

There was a long, dreadful, piercing scream. Ink spurted out of the diary in torrents, streaming over Mia's hands, flooding the floor. Riddle was writhing and twisting, screaming and flailing and then. . . .

He had gone. 

Mia's wand fell to the floor with a clatter and there was silence. Silence except for the steady drip drip of ink still oozing from the diary. The basilisk venom had burned a sizzling hole right through it.

Shaking all over, Mia pulled herself up. Her head was spinning as though he'd just traveled miles by Floo powder. Slowly, she gathered together her wand and the Sorting Hat, and, with a huge tug, retrieved the glittering sword from the roof of the basilisk's mouth.