CXX. EXPULSION FROM HOGWARTS

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

Mia heard loud, running footsteps behind her. Instinctively raising her wand again, she turned on her heel to face the newcomer.

Mrs. Figg, their batty old neighbour, came panting into sight. Her grizzled grey hair was escaping from its hairnet, a clanking string shopping bag was swinging from her wrist and her feet were halfway out of her tartan carpet slippers. Mia and Harry made to stow their wand hurriedly out of sight, but. . . .

"Don't put it away!" she shrieked. "What if there are more of them around?" 

With an enormous effort the twins managed to hoist Dudley to his feet. Dudley seemed to be on the point of fainting. His small eyes were rolling in their sockets and sweat was beading his face; the moment Mia and Harry let go of him he swayed dangerously. The twins pulled one of Dudley's massive arms around their own shoulders and dragged him towards the road, sagging slightly under the weight. Mrs. Figg tottered along in front of them, peering anxiously around the corner.

"Dementors in Little Whinging, whatever next?" Mrs. Figg asked as they walked back. "Whole world's gone topsy-turvy. "

"I don't understand," Harry said, "how do you know. . . .?"

"Dumbledore asked me to keep an eye on you both," Mrs. Figg said as Mia looked at her confused.

"Dumbledore asked you?" she asked, "you know Dumbledore?" 

It was not easy to hold a wand steady and haul Dudley along at the same time. Mia gave her cousin an impatient dig in the ribs, but Dudley seemed to have lost all desire for independent movement. He was slumped on Mia and Harry's shoulder, his large feet dragging along the ground.

"After You-Know-Who killed that poor Diggory boy last year," Mrs. Figg said as she looked at the twins, "did you expect him to let you go wandering on your own?"

Mia was wondering whether her spine was going to snap under Dudley's weight.

"Good Lord. They told me you were intelligent twins."

They arrived of Privet Drive and Mrs. Figg turned to the twins. 

"Now, get inside and stay there," she said, "expect someone will be in touch soon. Whatever happens, don't leave the house."

Mia and Harry readjusted Dudley and made their slow, painful way up number four's garden path.

The hall light was on. Mia and Harry put their wands away, opened the door and stumbled into the house.

"Is that you Diddykins?" Aunt Petunia called from the living room. The twins stumbled into the living room with Dudley and Aunt Petunia looked up and her eyes went wide. 

"Vernon," she said sharply. "Vernon, come quick." 

Mia's uncle came galumphing out of the living room, walrus moustache blowing hither and thither as it always did when he was agitated. Uncle Vernon grabbed a blank and a bowl and handed it to his son as Mia and Harry stood by the island in the kitchen.