CXIII. AN AGGRESSIVE BREAKDOWN

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

Hours passed and Harry was filled with dread and fear as he ran around the streets looking for Mia, his wand in his hand. Daylight was coming and Harry stopped running as he looked up and froze. There were people standing above him, silhouetted against the streetlight glowing through the glass door. Eight or nine of them, all, as far as he could see, looking at him. 

"Lower your wand, boy, before you take someone's eye out," said a low, growling voice. Harry's heart was thumping uncontrollably. He knew that voice, but he did not lower his wand.

"Professor Moody?" he said uncertainly.

"I don't know so much about Professor," growled the voice, "never got round to much teaching, did I? Get over here, we want to see you properly." Harry didn't lower his wand.

"It's all right, Harry. We found your sister and we've come to take you away."

"P-Professor Lupin?" he said disbelievingly. "Is that you?"

"Why are we all standing in the dark?" said a third voice, this one completely unfamiliar, a woman's. She waved her wand and street lights lit up. 

Harry blinked. Remus Lupin stood nearest to him. Though still quite young, Lupin looked tired and rather ill, he had more grey hairs than when Harry had last said good-bye to him and his robes were more patched and shabbier than ever, but he had a look of worry on his face.

"Where's my sister?" he asked, looking around, "where is she?"

"She's in St. Mungo's," the woman said, "we found her." She looked the youngest there; she had a pale heart-shaped face, dark twinkling eyes, and short spiky hair that was a violent shade of violet.

"What's that?" Harry asked.

"The Wizarding Hospital," Lupin said, his voice shaking. "She was not in a good state."

"What happened to her?" he demanded. "Take me to her."

"We will explain everything when we get to where we need to," Moody growled. "Your trunk is already there. We got your broom. Let's go." 

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

"Why is Mia in the hospital?"

It was lunchtime and Harry was sitting in the basement kitchen of 12 Grimmould Place. It was scarcely less gloomy than the hall above, a cavernous room with rough stone walls. Most of the light was coming from a large fire at the far end of the room. A haze of pipe smoke hung in the air like battle fumes, through which loomed the menacing shapes of heavy iron pots and pans hanging from the dark ceiling.

Fred, George, Ron, Hermione and Ginny all stopped what they were doing and looked at Harry in shock.

"Mia's in the hospital?" Hermione asked, putting her hands over her mouth in horror.