LXXI. BATTERED BROOMSTICK

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

"Lucky the ground was so soft."

"I thought she was dead for sure."

"It's a miracle she didn't break anything."

Mia could hear the voices whispering, but they made no sense whatsoever. She didn't have a clue where she was, or how she'd got there, or what she'd been doing before she got there. All she knew was that every inch of her was aching as though it had been beaten.

"That was the scariest thing I've ever seen in my life."

Scariest. . . the scariest thing. . . hooded black figures. . . cold. . . screaming. . .

Mia's eyes snapped open. She was lying in the hospital wing. The Gryffindor Quidditch team, spattered with mud from head to foot, was gathered around her bed. Harry, Ron, Hermione, Neville and Dean were also there, looking as though they'd just climbed out of a swimming pool.

"Mia!" said Fred, who looked extremely white underneath, the mud. "How're you feeling?"

Mia looked at him, then everything came flooding back.

"What happened?" she said, sitting up so suddenly they all gasped.

"You fell off," said Fred. "Must've been, what, fifty feet?"

"We thought you'd died," said Alicia, who was shaking.

Hermione made a small, squeaky noise. Her eyes were extremely bloodshot.

"But the match," Mia said. "What happened? Are we doing a replay?" No one said anything. The horrible truth sank into Harry like a stone. "We didn't, lose?"

"Diggory got the Snitch," said George. "Just after you fell. He didn't realise what had happened. When he looked back and saw you on the ground, he tried to call it off. Wanted a rematch. But they won fair and square. . . . even Wood admits it. "

"Where is Wood?" said Mia, suddenly realising he wasn't there.

"Still in the showers," said Fred. "We think he's trying to drown himself.' 

Mia put her face to her knees, her hands gripping his hair. Fred grabbed her shoulder and shook it roughly.

"C'mon, Mia, you've never missed the Snitch before."

"There had to be one time you didn't get it," said George.

"It's not over yet," said Fred. "We lost by a hundred points."

"Right? So if Hufflepuff loses to Ravenclaw and we beat Ravenclaw and Slytherin. . . ."

"Hufflepuff'll have to lose by at least two hundred points," said George.

"But if they beat Ravenclaw. . . ."

"No way, Ravenclaw is too good. But if Slytherin loses against Hufflepuff. . . ."