CXXI. MORE AND MORE OWLS

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

Mia and Harry flung themselves down at the kitchen table and faced Dudley and Aunt Petunia. The Dursleys appeared taken aback at his abrupt change of mind. Aunt Petunia glanced despairingly at Uncle Vernon. The vein in his purple temple was throbbing worse than ever. 

"Who are all these ruddy owls from?" he growled.

"The first one was from the Ministry of Magic, expelling us," said Harry calmly. Mia was straining her ears to catch any noises outside, in case the Ministry representatives were approaching, and it was easier and quieter to answer Uncle Vernon's questions than to have him start raging and bellowing. "The second one was from our friend Ron's dad, who works at the Ministry."

"Ministry of Magic?" bellowed Uncle Vernon. "People like you in government? Oh, this explains everything, everything, no wonder the country's going to the dogs. . . ."

When Mia and Harry did not respond, Uncle Vernon glared at him, then spat out, "And why have you been expelled?"

"Because we did magic."

"AHA!" roared Uncle Vernon, slamming his fist down on top of the fridge, which sprang open. Several of Dudley's low-fat snacks toppled out and burst on the floor. "So you admit it! What did you do to Dudley?"

"Nothing," said Harry, slightly less calmly. "That wasn't us. . . ."

"Was," muttered Dudley unexpectedly, and Uncle Vernon and Aunt Petunia instantly made flapping gestures at Mia and Harry to quieten them while they both bent low over Dudley.

"Go on, son," said Uncle Vernon, "what did he do?"

"Tell us, darling," whispered Aunt Petunia.

"Used red glowing stuff," Dudley mumbled.

"Yeah, I did, but we didn't use," Mia began angrily, but. . . .

"SHUT UP!" roared Uncle Vernon and Aunt Petunia in unison. Mia clenched her jaw in anger as she rolled her eyes and got out the familair silver packet from her pocket and got out four of the familair little white pills and popped them into her mouth and swallowed them as Harry looked at her concerned. 

"Go on, son," repeated Uncle Vernon, moustache blowing about furiously.

"All dark," Dudley said hoarsely, shuddering. "Everything dark. And then I h-heard. . . . things. Inside m-my head. . . ."

Uncle Vernon and Aunt Petunia exchanged looks of utter horror. If their least favourite thing in the world was magic, closely followed by neighbours who cheated more than they did on the hosepipe ban, people who heard voices were definitely in the bottom ten. They obviously thought Dudley was losing his mind.

"What sort of things did you hear, popkin?" breathed Aunt Petunia, very white-faced and with tears in her eyes.

But Dudley seemed incapable of saying. He shuddered again and shook his large blond head, and despite the sense of numb dread that had settled on Mia since the arrival of the first owl, she felt a certain curiosity. Dementors caused a person to relive the worst moments of their life, so what would spoiled, pampered, bullying Dudley have been forced to hear?