XX. THE FORBIDDEN FOREST

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

"A pity they let the old punishments die."

Mia, Harry, Ron, Hermione and Draco were following Filch down to Hagrid's hut for their detention. The ginger girl had her red scarf from Mrs. Weasley wrapped around her neck to keep her warm.

"There was a time detention would find you hanging by your thumbs in the dungeons. God, I miss the screaming."

"What the fuck is wrong with you?" Mia asked as Draco looked worried and Hermione hurried to be closer to her friends. 

"You'll be serving detention with Hagrid tonight," Filch went on, ignoring Mia. "He's got a little job to do inside the dark forest." Hagrid appeared with a crossbow and let out a sniff. "A sorry lot this, Hagrid. Oh, good God, man, you're not still on about that bloody dragon, are you?"

"Norbert's gone," Hagrid said, sighing as Mia looked at him. "Dumbledore sent him off to Romania to live in a colony." 

"Well, that's good, isn't it?" Hermione asked as Mia nodded. "He'll be with his own kind."

"Yeah, but what if he don't like Romania?" Hagrid asked as Filch rolled his eyes. "What if the other dragons are mean to him? He's only a baby, after all."

"Oh, for Gods sake, pull yourself together, man," Filch said as Mia furrowed her eyebrows.

"Oi, leave Hagrid alone," Mia said as Filch glared at her. Hagrid sent Mia a grateful smile.

"You're going into the forest, after all," Filch added as Mia's face dropped. "Got to have your wits about you."

"The forest?" Draco repeated, and he didn't sound quite as cool as usual which made Mia feel slightly better. "I thought that was a joke! We can't go in there. Students aren't allowed. And there are. . . ." as if properly timed, a howling sound appeared, ringing in the silence, ". . . . werewolves!" 

"There's more than werewolves in those trees, lad. You can be sure of that," said Filch, his voice cracking with glee. "Nighty-night." He turned around to go as Mia took a slightly shaky breath. 

"Right," Hagrid said, "let's go." 

He led them to the very edge of the Forest. Holding his lamp up high he pointed down a narrow, winding earth track that disappeared into the thick black trees. A light breeze lifted their hair as they looked into the Forest. Hagrid walked in first with Fang at his side, but neither of the first years followed him. 

"Fuck it," Mia said and tying her ginger hair into a messy ponytail, she followed Hagrid. 

The Forest was black and silent. A little way into it they reached a fork in the earth path, but Hagrid stopped walking and bent down. He dipped his fingers in a silver puddle and rubbed them together as Mia furrowed her eyebrows.