CI. DRESS ROBES

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

When they entered the Gryffindor common room it exploded with cheers and yells again. There were mountains of cakes and flagons of pumpkin juice and butterbeer on every surface; Lee Jordan had let off some Filibuster's Fireworks so that the air was thick with stars and sparks; and Dean Thomas, who was very good at drawing, had put up some impressive new banners, most of which depicted Mia zooming around the Horntail's head on her Firebolt, though a couple showed Cedric with his head on fire.

Mia helped herself to food. She had almost forgotten what it was like to feel properly hungry and sat down with Harry, Ron and Hermione. She couldn't believe how happy she felt. She had Harry and Ron back on her side, she'd gotten through the first task, she wouldn't have to face the second one for three months and she witnessed Draco being nice to her earlier. 

"Blimey, this is heavy," said Lee Jordan, picking up the golden egg, which Mia had left on a table, and weighing it in his hands. "Open it, Mia, go on! Let's just see what's inside it!"

"Yeah, go on, Mia, open it!" several people echoed.

Lee passed Mia the egg, and Mia dug her fingernails into the groove that ran all the way around it and prised it open.

It was hollow and completely empty, but the moment Mia opened it, the most horrible noise, a loud and screechy wailing, filled the room. The nearest thing to it Mia had ever heard was the ghost orchestra at Nearly Headless Nick's deathday party, who had all been playing the musical saw.

"Shut it!" Fred bellowed, his hands over his ears.

"What was that?" said Seamus Finnigan, staring at the egg as Mia slammed it shut again. "Sounded like a banshee. Maybe you've got to get past one of those next, Mia!"

"It was someone being tortured!" said Neville, who had gone very white and spilled sausage rolls all over the floor. "You're going to have to fight the Cruciatus Curse!"

"Don't be a prat, Neville, that's illegal," said George. "They wouldn't use the Cruciatus Curse on the champions. I thought it sounded a bit like Percy singing, maybe you've got to attack him while he's in the shower Mia."

It was nearly one in the morning when Mia finally went up to the dormitory with Hermione, Lavender, Parvati and Tracey. Before she pulled the curtains of her four-poster shut, Mia set her tiny model of the Hungarian Horntail on the table next to her bed, where it yawned, curled up, and closed its eyes. Mia smiled as she closed the hangings on his four-poster bed and climbed into bed and was asleep in seconds.

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

The start of December brought wind and sleet to Hogwarts. Drafty though the castle always was in winter. Mia was glad of its fires and thick walls every time she passed the Durmstrang ship on the lake, which was pitching in the high winds, its black sails billowing against the dark skies. She thought the Beauxbatons caravan was likely to be pretty chilly too.