LVI. DOBBY IS FREE

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

"You both realise, of course, that in the past few hours, you have broken, perhaps, a dozen school rules."

Mia, Harry and Ron were standing side by side next in front of Professor Dumbledore's desk. The trio looked at each other.

"Yes, sir," they said together.

"And there is sufficient evidence to have you all expelled," Dumbledore added. Ron opened his mouth in horror.

"Yes, sir," the trio said. 

"Therefore, it is only fitting that you both receive special awards for services to the school and let me see, yes, I think two hundred points apiece for Gryffindor."

Ron went as brightly pink and closed his mouth again. Mia looked utterly confused as she let out a laugh. Harry and Ron look at each other with grins.

"Thanks, sir," Ron said beaming.

"And now, Mr. Weasley, if you and Mr. Potter would have an owl deliver these release papers to Azkaban," said Dumbledore as he handed Ron some papers. "I believe we want our gamekeeper back."

Harry and Ron smiled at the ginger girl and left the room. 

"First, I want to thank you, Mia. You must've shown me real loyalty down in the Chamber. Nothing but that could've called Fawkes to you," said Dumbledore as Mia nodded. "And, second, I sense something is troubling you. Am I right?" Mia hesitated.

"Well, you see, sir. I couldn't help but notice certain things, certain similarities between me and Tom Riddle," Mia said, looking slightly nervous. 

"I see," said Dumbledore. "Well, you can speak Parseltongue, Mia. Why?" The ginger girl shrugged. "Because, Lord Voldemort can speak Parseltongue. If I'm not mistaken, Mia, he transferred some of his powers to you the night your powers got activated."

"Voldemort transferred some of his powers to me?" Mia asked. 

"Not intentionally," said Dumbledore, "but yes."

"So, the Sorting Hat was right," Mia said, thinking, "I should be in Slytherin."

"It's true, Mia. You possess many of the qualities that Voldemort himself prizes. Determination, resourcefulness, and if I may so, a certain disregard for the rules, yet I feel you may have inherited that from your father." Mia grinned. "Why then, did the Sorting Hat place you in Gryffindor?" 

Mia looked up at the Sorting Hat and thought.

"Because I asked it to," she said slowly. 

"Exactly, Mia, exactly. Which makes you different from Voldemort. It is not our abilities that show what we truly are, it is our choices," said Dumbledore. "If you want proof why you belong in Gryffindor, then I suggest you look more closely at this."