XLIV. BURNING BIRDS

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

They stepped off the stone staircase at the top, and Professor McGonagall rapped on the door. It opened silently and they entered. Professor McGonagall told Mia to wait and left him there, alone. Mia looked around. One thing was certain.

Of all the teachers' offices Mia had visited so far this year, Dumbledore's was by far the most interesting. If she hadn't been scared out of her wits that she was about to be thrown out of school, she would have been very pleased to have a chance to look around it. 

It was a large and beautiful circular room, full of funny little noises. A number of curious silver instruments stood on spindle legged tables, whirring and emitting little puffs of smoke. 

The walls were covered with portraits of old headmasters and headmistresses, all of whom were snoozing gently in their frames. There was also an enormous, claw-footed desk, and, sitting on a shelf behind it, a shabby, tattered wizard's hat, the Sorting Hat. Mia hesitated. She cast a wary eye around the sleeping witches and wizards on the walls. 

"Bee in your bonnet, Potter?" The Sorting Hat asked, looking at the blue eyed girl. Mia sighed.

"I was just wondering if you put me in the right house," she confessed.

"Yes. You were particularly difficult to place," the Sorting Hat said as Mia nodded. "But I stand by what I said last year. You would have done well in Slytherin." Mia smirked slightly. 

"You're wrong," she said with a slight chuckle. The Hat fell silent as Mia sighed. Then a strange, gagging noise behind her made her wheel around, looking shocked. She wasn't alone after all. 

Standing on a golden perch behind the door was a decrepit-looking bird that resembled a half-plucked turkey. Mia stared at it and the bird looked balefully back, making its gagging noise again. Mia thought it looked very ill. Its eyes were dull and, even as Mia watched, a couple more feathers fell out of its tail.

Mia was just thinking that all she needed was for Dumbledore's pet bird to die while she was alone in the office with it, when the bird burst into flames. Mia yelled in shock and backed away into the desk. The bird had become a fireball. It gave one loud shriek and next second there was nothing but a smouldering pile of ash on the floor. The office door opened. Dumbledore came in, looking very somber. 

"Professor," Mia gasped. "Your bird, he just caught fire!" 

To Mia's astonishment, Dumbledore smiled. 

"About time, too," he said. "He's been looking dreadful for days. I've been telling him to get a move on." 

He chuckled at the stunned look on Mia's face. 

"Fawkes is a phoenix, Mia. Phoenixes burst into flame when it is time for them to die and are reborn from the ashes. Watch him. . . ." 

Mia looked down in time to see a tiny, wrinkled, newborn bird poke its head out of the ashes. It was quite as ugly as the old one.