LXXXIX. THAT MANKY OLD BOOT

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

"Mia!"

Mia woke up with a start, breathing hard as though he had been running. Her eyes were glowing bright red as she saw the worried face of thirteen-year-old Ginny Weasley standing over her. 

"Are you alright?"

"Yeah," Mia said, her eyes going back to blue as she nodded, "bad dream." Mia looked out the window and saw through a gap in the curtains it was still dark outside.

"I know," Ginny said seeing the look on Mia's face as she yawned, "it's really early." 

"Why are we up so early?" Mia asked, rubbing her eyes.

"Dad said we have to leave early apparently," Ginny said yawning. They dressed in silence, too sleepy to talk, then, yawning and stretching, they made their way down to the kitchen where they saw Mr. Weasley, Fred, George and Hermione waiting for them. 

"Mia!" Hermione said happily as she hugged Mia. Mia mumbled hello as she hugged the girl back. "Still not a morning person?"

"Never," Mia said chuckling. A few minutes later, Harry and Ron walked downstairs, looking just as sleepy and tired as the rest of them. 

"Let's get going!" Mr. Weasley said happily before he, Mia, Harry, Ron, Hermione, Ginny, Fred and George set off across the dark yard. It was chilly and the moon was still out. Only a dull, greenish tinge along the horizon to their right showed that daybreak was drawing closer. 

"Where are we actually going?" Harry said as Mia walked in between him and Ron. 

"Don't know," Ron said as Mia chuckled. "Hey Dad! Where are we going?" 

"Haven't the foggiest, keep up!" Mr. Weasley yelled back as the trio stared at each other. 

They trudged down the dark, dank lane toward the village, the silence broken only by their footsteps. The sky lightened very slowly as they made their way through the village, its inky blackness diluting to deepest blue. Mia's hands and feet were freezing. Mr. Weasley kept checking his watch. 

"Arthur!" A ruddy-faced wizard with a scrubby brown beard came over, a grin on his face as he and Mr. Weasley shook hands. "It's about time son." 

"Sorry Amos," Mr. Weasley said, "some of us had a bit of a sleepy start." He turned back to Ron who let out a yawn. "This is Amos Diggory everyone, he works with me at the ministry." Before any of them could say hi, an extremely handsome boy of around seventeen jumped out the tree. "And this strapping young lad must be Cedric, am I right?" 

"Yes sir," Cedric said as the two shook hands. He was Captain and Seeker of the Hufflepuff House Quidditch team at Hogwarts. Everybody said hi back except Fred and George, who merely nodded. They had never quite forgiven Cedric for beating their team, Gryffindor, in the first Quidditch match of the previous year. Amos Diggory peered good-naturedly around at the three Weasley boys, Harry, Mia, Hermione, and Ginny.