XXXIII. GOOD TO BE HOME

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

Ten minutes later, Snape returned, and sure enough, it was Professor McGonagall who accompanied him. Mia had seen Professor McGonagall angry on several occasions, but either she had forgotten just how thin her mouth could go, or she had never seen her this angry before. She raised her wand the moment she entered. Mia, Harry and Ron both flinched, but she merely pointed it at the empty fireplace, where flames suddenly erupted.

"Sit," she said, and they both backed into chairs by the fire. "Who's clever idea was it to fly the car?"

"Mine," Mia said, holding the keys up as she looked at McGonagall. Ron and Harry looked at her surprised as Ron checked his pockets. "Thought I'd live up to my name."

McGonagall looked at Mia and saw that she had the same slightly guilty look her father did when he was lying.

"Explain, all three of you," she said, her glasses glinting ominously.

Ron launched into the story, starting with the barrier at the station refusing to let them through. ". . . .so we had no choice, Professor, we couldn't get on the train."

"Why didn't you send us a letter by owl? I believe you both have an owl?" Professor McGonagall said coldly to Mia and Harry.

"It was my idea to fly the car, Professor," she said, "like I said, I wanted to live up to my name given all the things I've heard my Dad did. Thought I'd outshine him."

There was a knock on the office door and Snape, now looking happier than ever, opened it. There stood the headmaster, Professor Dumbledore. Mia and Ron exchanged looks. Dumbledore was looking unusually grave. He stared down his very crooked nose at them.

There was a long silence. Then Dumbledore said, "Please explain why you did this." Mia looked at the others then back at the Professors.

"It was my idea, Professor," she said, "I convinced Harry and Ron to fly the car with me. We saw a family of witches leaving it, and so I decided to take it because they left the keys in the ignition. The boys convinced me not to, but I was going to leave without them so they didn't have a choice."

When Mia had finished, he merely continued to peer at them through his spectacles.

"We'll go and get our stuff," said Ron in a hopeless sort of voice.

"What are you talking about, Mr. Weasley?" McGonagall asked.

"You're going to expel us, aren't you?" Ron said hopeless. 

"Not today, Mr. Weasley," said Dumbledore. "But I must impress upon both of you the seriousness of what you have done. I will be writing to both your families tonight. I must also warn you that if you do anything like this again, I will have no choice but to expel you."

Snape looked as though Christmas had been canceled.

He cleared his throat and said, "Professor Dumbledore, these boys and girl have flouted the Decree for the Restriction of Underage Wizardry. As such. . . ."