IV. THE KEEPER OF THE KEYS

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

"Fine day Sunday," Uncle Vernon said the following Sunday as Mia was handing out biscuits on a china plate while Harry was filling up their drinks. "In my opinion, the best day of the week. Why is that, Dudley?" 

Dudley simply shrugged and didn't answer as Mia held out the plate to him. 

"Because there's no post on Sunday?" she asked as Vernon grinned nastily.

"Ah, right you are, Mia," he said, snatching a biscuit from the plate, "no post on Sunday. Ha! No blasted letters today. No, sir. Not one single bloody letter, not one." Mia saw a shadow fly past the window and furrowing her eyebrows, she walked over and moved the netting and her blue eyes went wide. Outside were hundreds of different coloured owls perched around the house as Mia smirked. "No, sir, not one blasted, miserable. . . ."

Something came whizzing down the kitchen chimney as he spoke and caught him sharply on the back of the head. Mia and Harry looked over and in seconds there was a terrible thundering nose and hundreds of letters came pelting out of the fireplace like bullets. Mia laughed as the entire room was filled with letters.

"AHH!" Dudley yelled, jumping onto his mother's lap, "make it stop! Please make it stop!" Aunt Petunia, Uncle Vernon and Dudley were screaming as Mia and Harry were laughing.

"Come on," Mia laughed as she crouched down and began finding a letter addressed to her while Harry jumped up onto the coffee table and jumped to grab one. When both the twins had a letter addressed to them, they started to sprint out of the room, but Uncle Vernon was hot on their tail. 

"Give me that!" he yelled, "give me that letter!" 

Before the twins could even reach the cupboard, Uncle Vernon seized Mia and Harry around the waist and held onto them as the twins tried to get out of his grip.

"Get off!" Mia yelled as she tried to kick her uncle off. "Ahh!"

"They're our letters!" Harry yelled as the mailed up letter box burst open as hundreds of letters came shooting out, "let go of us!"

"That's it!" Uncle Vernon yelled, looking crazy as the letters were flying around, bouncing off the walls, "we're going away! Far away! Where they can't find us!"

"Daddy's gone mad, hasn't he?!" Dudley asked as he and Aunt Petunia watched Uncle Vernon as Mia scoffed.

"He's always been bloody mad!" Mia yelled.

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

As night fell, the promised storm blew up around them. Spray from the high waves splattered the walls of the hut and a fierce wind rattled the filthy windows. Aunt Petunia found a few moldy blankets in the second room and made up a bed for Dudley on the moth-eaten sofa. She and Uncle Vernon went off to the lumpy bed next door, and Mia and Harry were left to find the softest bit of floor they could and to curl up under the thinnest, most ragged blanket.