LXXII. THE MARAUDERS MAP

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

On the Saturday morning of the Hogsmeade trip, Mia and Harry bid good-bye to Ron and Hermione, who were wrapped in cloaks and scarves, then turned up the marble staircase alone, and headed back toward Gryffindor Tower. Snow had started to fall outside the windows, and the castle was very still and quiet.

"Psst, Mia, Harry!"

The twins turned, halfway along the third-floor corridor, to see Fred and George peering out at him from behind a statue of a humpbacked, one-eyed witch.

"What are you doing?" said Harry curiously. "How come you're not going to Hogsmeade?"

"We've come to give you a bit of festive cheer before we go," said Fred, with a mysterious wink. "Come in here. . . "

He nodded toward an empty classroom to the left of the one-eyed statue. Mia and Harry followed Fred and George inside. George closed the door quietly and then turned, beaming, to look at Mia and Harry.

"Early Christmas present for you, twins," he said.

Fred pulled something from inside his cloak with a flourish and laid it on one of the desks. It was a large, square, very worn piece of parchment with nothing written on it. Mia, suspecting one of Fred and George's jokes, stared at it.

"What's that supposed to be?"

"This, twins, is the secret of our success," said George, patting the parchment fondly.

"It's a wrench, giving it to you," said Fred, "but we decided last night, your need's greater than ours."

"Anyway, we know it by heart," said George. "We bequeath it to you. We don't really need it anymore."

"And what do we need with a bit of old parchment?" said Mia.

"A bit of old parchment!" said Fred, closing his eyes with a grimace as though Mia had mortally offended him. "Explain, George."

"Well. . . . when we were in our first year, Mia and Harry, young, carefree, and innocent. . . ."

Mia and Harry snorted. They doubted whether Fred and George had ever been innocent.

". . . .well, more innocent than we are now, we got into a spot of bother with Filch."

"We let off a Dungbomb in the corridor and it upset him for some reason. . . ."

"So he hauled us off to his office and started threatening us with the usual. . . ."

". . . .detention. . . ."