ARC 2 - Prologue : Cloudy Skies

...

......

December 27, 2019

The blizzard has come and gone. Now all that remains is a clear blue sky. Before long, the pale blue is marked by the single black dot of an approaching helicopter. The helicopter brings important passengers, and the harsh reality that the end is close at hand.

...

....

Everyone stands ready in the command room where CHALDEAS is stationed. Gudako looks around her, noticing Sylvia and Dustin from yesterday. Da Vinci stands nearby and Mash hugs Gudako's arm while Fou, surprisingly quiet, sits next to the two. The P.A. system sounds, announcing the registration and entrance of 44 visitors; namely, the new Director of Chaldea, Goredolf Musik and the UN inspectors. Gudako feels the hands on her arm start to shake slightly. She reaches up with her other hand, and pats Mash's head.

"It's alright.", she whispers, trying to calm the demi-servant down.

"I...I'll be okay, Senpai. I just wonder what this new director will be like..."

Da Vinci, overhearing them, turned to give them a grin before launching into a pack summary of the new Director.

"Goredulf Musik. Male, 28 years old, heir to a wealthy family of alchemists. At the Clock Tower, he's considered to be...well, about average. Much as the Musick can boast about a long familial history, they've essentially accomplished nothing. The only thing that sets them apart from other mages is the extra bit of wealth they've accumulated by virtue of existing longer. Goredolf's basically a rich brat from a well-off family. Question is, why did someone like that end up as Chaldea's new director? I can't be certain until we meet him ourselves, but if I were to guess-"

The sound of approaching footsteps like thunder interrupted Da Vinci. But even louder than the footsteps was the voice of someone who was clearly delighted...almost like a kid...

"Oho! This is great! Better than great! What a bargain! I didn't have high hopes for a lab out in the middle of nowhere, so you can imagine my surprise and delight at how modern it all is! I think it might be even more advanced than the labs in London!"
"Tch. Speak of the devil. He's certainly got a loud voice. Just remember, Gudako, silence is golden. Trust me, this is the sort of person whose bad side you don't want to get on; even more than Olg Marie's. Piss him off, and you'll never hear the end of it."

As if right on cue, a pudgy man with blond hair and smirk walked into the room, followed by a tall woman in high heels dressed in all pink. Behind them came the other 42 visitors...no, most of them were part of the staff now.

And as predictable as any spoiled kid would be, Goredolf's eyes landed on Da Vinci first.

"Oho! And you must be the Servant I heard about in the report. You certainly do look the part. Let's see, Leonardo da Vinci, was it? Not bad at all for a replica of a well-known genius. I always preferred a beautiful woman for a familiar."

Goredolf looked like he wanted to say more, but the pink lady next to him pulled on his arm, halting him in his speech.

"Your Excellancy, I believe that remark could be construed as sexual harassment(heart). Remember, that Servant is, for all intents and purposes, the acting director. Though it amounts to little more than running a dinky factory out in the sticks, she HAS managed to keep Chaldea going in lieu of a proper director over the past year. It would be in your best interests to get on her good side~ Why not lead with a compliment?"

Oh for-, Gudako could tell that this woman was like all the bad news in the world given form. This place is NOT a LITTLE DINKY FACTORY, but Chaldea which has saved you guys from incineration! Anyway, me....chill. Although she clearly has no good intentions, she's at least a little more business-like than the new director.