ARC 2 - Prologue : Light Sleet

……
December 31, 2019
The once clear, blue sky is slowly obscured by ominous clouds. This is the beginning of the end of 2019.

…..
Gudako sighed, her back resting against the cold wall of the room. The three of them plus Fou have been stuck here for quite a while ever since Da Vinci was called out to be interrogated. The guards were kind enough to give them some food and water upon request, but they haven’t been let out since. At least this room had a bathroom…
“...Da Vinci still isn’t back…”
“Fooou….”
“I know Fou, Gudako. It’s been twelve hours since Mr.Goredolf called for her last night. It’s 4:30pm right now…that gives us less than 8 hours until the year ends…”
“..Pardon me.”
The door to the room suddenly opened, revealing someone dressed in a long black cloth with a shining cross around his neck. Gudako squinted, the bright fluorescent lights behind him slightly blinding due to the innate dimmer lights of the room they were in.
“The priest….”
“Hello there, Gudako, Mr.Meuniere, Ms.Demi-Servant. I hope you don’t mind my stopping by. I just wanted to chat with you all again one last time.”
“Father….Kotomine?” Mash questioned.
“My name is of no great consequence. ‘Father’ will be more than sufficient”, Father Kotomine replied as he settled himself on the floor right before the doorway, having closed the door already.
“Very soon, your four-day house arrest will come to an end. The investigation will continue until tomorrow, but you have been cleared of suspicion. It seems the Mage’s Association wishes to have you arrested, but we at the Holy Church feel otherwise. We see the battles you have fought and the contributions you have made, and recognize them for what they’re worth. My superior, Pontifex Noi, commended your accomplishments personally. He also told me to keep you safe from the Mage’s Assocation’s concealment system, saying it was the least we could do for those to whom we owe our lives.”
“R-really!?”, Meuniere exclaimed, “Then, does that mean we’re fully acquitted?”
“It does. I talked to Musik, and he agreed to release Chaldea’s entire former staff from their confinement in just a few more hours.”
“What about Da Vinci?”, Gudako asked.
“Right, the investigators called her in last night. Where is she?”
“Ah, Leonardo? She’s a Servant so we can’t afford to release her. We will unsummon her once she finishes helping us with our current task. This is the world of the living. It has no place for the lingering dead, like Heroic Spirits. Even the saints are no exception. The remnants of days past have no place in today’s world.”
“...So you don’t think Servants are valuable? Are you telling us that only the Holy Church is on humanity’s side, and that Mystics must be opposed in all their forms, no matter what?”
“Not at all. Servants are useful tools. What I hate is the very concept of Heroic Spirits itself.”
“Nevermind all that”, Gudako waved,”What’s Da Vinci working on?”
“The process to unthaw Team A has already begun. Now that the Coffins have been repaired, they were to be thawed by 4:00pm today so I expect we’ll be hearing word of their success any moment now. Leonardo will be on her way once that is done, but I am willing to at least grant her a last supper. By all means, enjoy your final meal together this evening. Once you are done, I will have you taken to my helicopter and ensure you return to your family safely.”
“That’s…”, Mash hesitated only to be cut in by Gudako who voiced both of their concerns.
“Frankly, I don’t trust you.”
“Well, that’s a shame. Here we’ve only just met and you’ve already decided you dislike me. Of course, since it is your decision, I will respect it. You ARE the Master who prevented the Incineration of Humanity. Your instincts must be impeccable.”
Father Kotomine smiled warmly at Gudako, but Gudako only felt as if that smile hid malice and deceit behind it. She shivered slightly and gave a fake smile back.
Then, the intercom buzzed on.
“Operation complete. Coffin thawing: successful. The Coffins will be released in 3 minutes. Father Kotomine, please report to the Command Room.”
“So they succeeded! Da Vinci must have pulled it off!”, cheered Mash, hugging Gudako tightly.
“Indeed, she is quite gifted. I wish that I could overlook her secrets out of respect for her capabilities, but alas…Ahem. At any rate, this brings us to the end, doesn’t it, Gudako? I truly admire your hard work, restraint, and patience. More’s the pity…”
“What do you mean?...”
“Come now, you really don’t know? All the miracles you performed are about to be destroyed at the hands of the very paragon of mediocrity.”
*Author’s note. Okay that’s great. Now layman terms please? You realize we aren’t as word as you right??*