chapter forty two.

George Michael- Heal The Pain.

-

The drive home was slow, as was the day, and I wondered if it were doing that just for me. Probably not, though it was a nice thought to think.

Once the cab brought us back home, stopping right by our driveway, Harry pulled out some notes and handed them to the driver before I could protest. Something I made a mental note about so that I could slip some money into one of his belongings later, because god knows he wouldn't take it from me.

"Oh shit," I shrieked as Harry put his hand on the lever to open the door, he turned back to watch me carefully, "What are we going to say that we've come back together? Or where we've been?" I couldn't believe I hadn't even thought about it earlier on. I couldn't believe we even had to lie but that was another thing in itself.

Harry didn't fret though, he just thought for a second and shrugged, "The guys will probably be out the back and your parents will probably be at church," He said, which seemed to be true since their car wasn't in the driveway and they hardly went out anywhere at this time of day apart from the lord's house, "If anyone asks we'll just say, you were at Avery's and I was... out with some guys they don't know. But they won't ask, it'll be okay." I was nodding like crazy, psyching myself up for the load of questions I knew were coming. It was my family we were talking about, which meant there were always questions and it was only a matter of time.

But cooly, I followed Harry as he stepped out of the car. We were lucky we hadn't brought anything with us that made us look like we'd just spent the night together— like luggage per se— but I was sure if anybody tried to study me properly, they'd see the mess of my hair only screamed one thing. Which meant I needed to run to the bathroom and make no pit stops in between.

As we approached the front door, the faint sound of music whisked through the air and my chest suddenly felt lighter. "Guys are in the back," Harry seemed to read my thoughts, "What kind of genius said that just before? Not even a few minutes ago?" He turned his head over his shoulder as I waited behind him with a sly smile, "You're crazy amazing, H," I said while rising lightly on my tippy toes to plant a peck to his cheek, "Is that what you wanted to hear?" Harry nodded and chuckled, "Always." And that had me rolling my eyes because what a narcissistic gorgeous boy he was.

He opened up the door and we made our way through. As we now expected, the house was quiet. Harry clasped his hand in mine, "I'll go out the back, see what the rest are up to," He pulled my body into his and wrapped his arms around me, "Are you good in here?" He was hugging me and I was trying not to make it a big deal. People hugged all the time. But I did clutch him a little tighter as my arms locked over his waist. I nodded with my face in the crook of his neck, "Yeah. I'm gonna have a shower and then I'll see where the day takes me." It wasn't like I really had any plans. I kind of wanted to forget about my feelings and zone out for a while, my favourite way to do that included my walkman and George.

"Okay." Harry brushed his lips over my hair and pressed a kiss to the top of my head. "Yell if you need anything. And, thanks again, for spending the night with me. Means a fuckin' lot, Mae." I inhaled his masculine scent, which held the light touch of cologne as if it had kissed his skin a few hours ago and demanded not to fade. "Of course, H," I blushed, "But you spoilt me so expect it back in tenfold." God damn those strong green eyes that watched my lips as I spoke.

"You ever think that I just wanna take care of you? I don't do it to expect anything back, baby." Yeah, that was the exact thought I was afraid of facing. I hadn't been raised to accept niceties so willingly. I gave back, that was what I did. There was usually an ulterior motive in place whenever somebody did something nice for me, I had tried to eradicate that thought when it came to Harry, he was the only person who I believed did nice things for me because he wanted to.