chapter forty nine.

March.
-

"Close your eyes."

I frowned.

"Come on, Mae, close your eyes!" Dee squealed, her hands in tight fists of excitement.

I closed my eyes, hands laying flat on top of our small dining table. I saw nothing but darkness now, a mix of staticky grains, but it seemed to have gotten darker as a sound clicked.

Had she just turned the lights off?

"What the hell is happening?" I whispered, hearing a deep chuckle from beside me.

"Just keep them closed, babe." Eli said, his voice now seeming further away.

"Did it touch the sides?" I thought I heard him ask, "I don't think so. I put it in the fridge straight away, that's what I was supposed to do, right?" Dee's voice sounded frantic, cupboards were opening and closing, as were drawers. "It didn't come with instructions, Dee." Eli responded. They were getting closer now, and my heart was beating double the speed.

"I can hear you guys." I called, cracking my knuckles underneath the table. "No you can't." Dee yelled, furthering away again.

For a moment I just let myself sit, eyes closed, trying to be patient. I took in the sounds around me and relaxed in the meditative stillness. Footsteps began approaching and my foot then started its bounce.

"Ready?" I heard Dee whisper. "Ready for what?" I asked. "Not you, girl." She whisper-shouted. And then, shadows were invading my dark vision again. I could feel them around me, at the table now. Something was then placed in front of me, my heart pounded, idea's shooting around my mind.

It was too quiet.

I heard a little clearing of throats.

And then.

"Happy Birthday, Mae!" A mixture of Dee and Eli's voices shouted in unison.

I opened my eyes, looking down.

My heart was going even faster than just a second ago. I was in too much shock to say anything just yet, but Dee neared me, a box of matches in her hands as she began flicking one alight. The fire caught onto the wick of the '2' candle, as well as the '3'. And then, they started singing.

"Happy Birthday to you. Happy Birthday to you. Happy Birthday to Maeeeee, Happy Birthday to you!" The both of them. Together. Dee's husky light voice mixed in with Eli's deep one. Dee watched me with glistening eyes and hands clasped to her chest, as Eli watched me with an almost proud look in his gaze.

This meant more to me than either of them knew. Nobody had done this for me before. I'd never gotten a birthday cake. The only thing I'd gotten was dinner at a place I couldn't choose. So this, this was a lot.

I watched the flame, sitting sweetly on each candle, glowing, fiery, alive. I probably watched it for too long, it had only taken me twenty three years to see a set of candles waiting for nobody other than me to blow out. I glanced up at Dee, who I could tell was trying not to cry, and she gave me the cheeriest smile and a little nod. "Make a wish." She said, biting her lower lip in a grin.

The wax of the candle let one slow drip roll down, over the arch of the numbered shape and onto the white icing. I closed my eyes, leaning forward and taking a breath. A wish. I had to make a wish. I had to make an actual wish. What the hell consisted of a good wish?