chapter sixty.

Behind the bar, my eyes were heavy and far too close to shutting than I would have liked. I wasn't going to fall asleep. I'd make sure of it. But if it wasn't frowned upon to do, I so would.

It was teetering on the ending hours of my shift at Happy Daze. Being so late, and being a weekday meant the bar was finally slowing down. In that gap of time where the world really did go quiet.

A little past midnight as it was, my body was finally starting to refuse to function. Though I couldn't let it wind down too much since there were still a few stray customers sitting on their lonesome. It was freezing out. I understood their reluctance to want to leave.

They found comfort in being able to sit at whichever table they'd chosen. With their own company. Nursing a drink. They might've scraped their way through the entire day just to be able to sit at the table they were sitting at. And for that, I couldn't blame them.

Except right now, I could vividly picture myself being at home. Putting on my warmest pyjamas. Carrying a mug of the finest hot chocolate over to the couch and plonking myself down for the rest of the night. I may have had a different idea in mind in comparison to the few people in the bar right now, but they were ways to slow down time all the same. Just for a little while.

My feet were aching. Begging for some kind of rest. I leant back against the sink area and folded my arms across my chest. The few people who were in here right now all had their backs to me. A choice I would've chosen myself as well. So I eyed the nook of space where musicians usually played. It was empty now. Quite lonely and sad looking. The artist who'd played tonight had already left and the jukebox could only thrive with equally as thriving customers.

One of the men pushed up from his table, pulling me out of my hazy, tiresome mind. He sent me a nod and pointed his thumb to the door leading to outside, "Goin' for a smoke." He grumbled out. "No problem." I smiled, taking the tea towel and beginning to wipe one of the wet glasses.

Now there were three separate people hunched over their own tables. I wondered if they were asleep. I hoped to god they weren't. Though it wouldn't be the first time I'd have to wake a person up and help them to whoever had arrived to pick them up.

I turned, placed the now dry glass where the rest sat, though whipped around quickly at the sound of the entrance door making a fuss.

Once I focused on him properly to make sure my sleepiness hadn't summoned a mirage, I smiled and exhaled peacefully, "Harry, what the hell are you doing here?" I rid the tea towel quickly and rounded the edge of the bar, closing in on him as he approached.

"Wanted to stop by and see how my girl was doing." He grinned as he let his eyes fall over me. Opening his arms wide, he scooped my body into his warmth and I shut my eyes instantly.

"I'm okay," I breathed, "But it's late, you should be in bed. In your warm apartment."

Harry chuckled and it vibrated against my cheek that lay against his chest. "Wouldn't call it an apartment, baby. Just a nice hotel that's been letting me extend my stay." I reared my head back, peering up at him, "What are you thinking of doing once they don't let you extend your stay anymore?" I asked him.

He lowered to hover his lips over my own, "Wanna know something?" Pressing forward, his lush lips met mine and he moved them slowly, carefully, agonisingly sweet. I hummed an 'mhm' into his mouth as his tongue swirled past my lips before he peeled back.

"Remember that night I played here? We spoke outside and I told you my plane was meant to be leaving-"

"In a couple days." I finished for him.

He nodded, still smiling. It wasn't that long ago that we had lived that very night. Truthfully that conversation had been the last thing on my mind afterwards. I hadn't thought about it much since at that point I was trying to forget all things Harry. But now that I reigned the thought back into my subconscious, I remembered it quite well. Even though a major part of me felt shitty for forgetting.