A Painful Ending (Prologue)

Like always, Lanling is glistening and shining from the sun above. Various clans are to soon arrive for a celebration. Despite everyone always having some sort of uneasiness towards the Jin Clan, they could not pass up the opportunity. Zewu Jun (Lan Xichen), Jiang Yanli who was holding her baby Jin Ling, Courtesy name, Jin Rulan, Jiang Cheng, and Hanguang Jun (Lan Wangji) were standing in the main hall waiting for Wei Ying to arrive. It was Jin Ling's one month celebration and because everything had been peaceful and Yanli missed her brother, they invited Wei Ying to attend. Hanguang Jun was pacing a little as he felt something was off. He could tell that something might happen. He watched disciples from various clans, including his own, leave Lanling with swords and bows. He had a panic deep inside that he felt that Wei Ying was in trouble.

Zewu Jun could feel his brother's worry radiating off of him. Before he could stop his little brother from pacing, Meng Yao had entered the hall. Hanguang Jun immediately went to him and questioned what was going on. He wanted to know why members of his sect had left without authorization from him or Zewu Jun.

"Some of our disciples left?" Zewu Jun asked his brother, "did you see how many?"

"At least thirty or forty," Wangji answered, "did you tell them anything or did they say anything?"

"No," Zewu Jun said.

"Er-Ge, I will try to find out what is going on and why they had left," Meng Yao told him.

Meng Yao turned to leave when a Jin Clan disciple ran into the hall in panic, "urgent news!"

"What is it?" Meng Yao asked.

"The Ghost General," he said catching his breath, "he lost control and killed Zixun and Zixuan!"

Jiang Yanli froze in her place and dropped the rattle she was holding. Jiang Wanyin immediately held onto her for support and made sure she didn't drop his nephew. Hanguang Jun stood there at a loss for words. He didn't understand what was happening. He turned to his brother to ask for permission to go speak with Wei Ying.

"Just be careful okay," Zewu Jun told him.

Wangji nodded and left taking flight on his sword Bichen. He wanted to catch up to Wei Ying. He needed to make sure he was okay, to know what exactly happened. On his way he spotted Wen Ning heading towards Lanling with his sister.

"What are you both doing?" Wangji asked desperately.

"T-t-turning ours-selves in and to pr-protect Master Wei," Wen Ning told him.

"What exactly happened?" Wangji asked another question.

"I heard another flute altering Chenqing's commands and I lost control. I killed Master Wei's brother-in-law and Jin Zixun."

Wangji nodded and took in the information, "why was he targeted?"

"Jin Zixun claimed Wei Wuxian had cast Hundred Holes curse on him and demanded to cure him or he'd kill him," Wen Qing answered.

"You two should not go," Wangji suggested.

"They demanded we come within three days or they will go to us at the Burial Mounds," Wen Qing told him, "we should have died long ago, but Wuxian gave us some time. We can't hide anymore."

Before they said anything else, Wen Ning pulled his sister onto his back and ran off with his insane speed. Wangji now had to choose, go to Wei Ying, or go back after Wen Ning. He had to go to Wei Ying, as it was no use into talking Wen Ning and Wen Qing out of their decision. So he went to him, it took him a whole day to get there, but the Burial Mounds were empty and Wei Ying was no where to be found. Before Wangji turned to leave he heard a little cough. Then he spotted him, a little boy who clung to his leg back in Yiling, a boy who smiled and was innocent of all this. Wangji could not leave him here. The boy was sick and he needed care immediately. Wangji made a quick stop to Cloud Recesses and brought the boy to the infirmary. He told the healer that he found the boy unconscious on the streets. He did not want to give this boy's identity away, he did not want anyone to know he was a Wen, for his protection.