Whirlwind

I stood in Mingshi admiring Wei Ying from a slight distance. Just watching him as he let his brain work. He sat there with dozens of books scattered around him and blank talismans. He had ink and parchment for notes and suggestions he thought of as he works. His eyes sparked something inside of me, it gave my insight and knowledge of how Wei Ying really liked to work, and it probably was the same for studying. I never thought I would witness Wei Ying like this. I then realized, he would get bored of Shufu's lectures as it was just to long for him to sit through. Wei Ying likes a challenge, he likes to strategize and think of newfound solutions. As I stood there watching, Shufu and Xiongzhang entered to see how things were going. 

"What a mess," Shufu said under his breath. 

"It is just how he works, Shufu," I said, "I have never seen Wei Ying so attentive and passionate about doing something. He looks so engrossed in what he is doing, I can see why he said he can forget about time as he can forget about his health, like eating and sleeping."

"It is something to take note of," Shufu said, "I respect his hard work. What is he making at the moment?"

"He has some ideas of improving wards to be stronger but also has a defense if someone were to try to break it," I explained. 

"Like a backfire to the person who attacks it," Xiongzhang said gathering the information. 

"Yes," I said, "Did you two need something or are you just checking in?"

"We wanted to check in," Shufu said and turned to me, "And also say we received a letter from Yunmeng. Jiang Fengmian said he approves of the proposal but his wife his hard to convince. They will be here tomorrow to discuss things further. At that time, if Wei Ying is able, we would like to have you both their to voice out your thoughts." 

Wei Ying stopped what he was doing as if he heard the conversation. He looked at us as he stood up from his spot and walked over to us, "I would like to be there, I can take day or two, to talk with the Jiangs. I have yet to tell Jiang Cheng and Shijie the news as well. They do not know yet," He said, "And I am sorry about the mess, it is just how I work. I promise to clean up when I am done with my work."

Shufu nodded, "I trust you," he said, "Keep up the good work."

Wei Ying nodded, "Would you prefer I still call you Grandmaster Lan?" Wei Ying asked him. 

"You can call me Uncle," He answered, "Or Shufu as these two do. As you are to be apart of the family."

"I promise to be respectful and follow the rules to the best of my abilities, Shufu," Wei Ying said with a bow.

"Just continue being yourself," Shufu said patting Wei Ying on the shoulder, "if you break the rules, I will let Xichen and Wangji handle the punishments towards you."

Wei Ying giggled a little, "I will still try my best. And what ever Madam Yu says tomorrow, I am sure it will not be pretty," Wei Ying informed.

"So I have heard," Shufu suspected, "I heard she has a terrible attitude."

"She is just hard to please," Wei Ying said in protest, "As I have been trying to do for several years now."

"Well, she will not cause you much trouble mush longer," Xiongzhang informed and then changed the subject, "Since you are not distracted in your work at the moment, why don't you come join us for lunch."

Wei Ying nodded and followed them out. I walked beside Wei Ying to the dining hall and we sat at the same table as Shufu and Xiongzhang. Wei Ying's siblings, especially Jiang Wanyin was giving us a look of curiosity and envy. It a way it was slightly satisfying to see him jealous; I didn't know why, but I just enjoyed the satisfaction of it.