Chapter 1

“What would your grandfather say if he knew about this situation?” you muttered as you watched your tv show. “Not to mention the other employees.”

“I’m not asking about others.” You had watched this romantic show around a hundred times to the point where you could rehearse the entire scene yourself. “I only want to hear… What you think.”

“It’s the same,” the actress said. And you smiled, knowing what was going to happen next. “I don’t think it's going to work out.”

“Do you really not have any feelings for me?” You said along with the actor.

You watched as the female protagonist stayed silent. This was your favourite show of all time. It was cliche in every way possible, but it was perfect.

“I understand,” he said. “Then let me say this again.”

Your eyes lit up. This was the scene you had practised for so long that you remembered every pause, every breath intake, every eye twitch. “I have feelings for you and I won’t give up.” You paused.  “If you reject me I’ll ask you out again and again until you finally like me back.” You pretended to look deeply into the eyes of someone in front of you even though you were really only staring at the award one of your coworkers had won. “So, you need to brace yourself.”

“Why do you keep making it so hard for me?” You said along with the actress. “Why do you keep being nice to me and make me think about you? You make me wonder if it might work out even though I know that it never could.”

You flinched as you heard your team coordinator shout your name. “Are you watching romcoms again while working?”

“No… It’s just background noise,” you said. “It’s not even that distracting.”

“‘That distracting’ is still distracting, love.” She walked into the room. “Turn it off please. I want to see the new skincare line designs.”

You worked at a marketing firm called ‘Ren Industries’ in the design section. It was one of, if not the most famous companies in the world. It was your job to create different logos and designs for various sections in the company. It could range from cosmetics to food products to the actual company logo—which you and your colleague had designed yourselves. Unfortunately you weren’t the one to win an award for it. You hadn’t arrived at the presentation as you had faked sick because of your severe anxiety. Kylo Ren, your boss, wasn't exactly a kind-hearted man. He was known for firing people at his own free will without any explanation. You knew that if you even dared to stutter in your presentation, you would be fired immediately.

You opened the file you had saved on your computer. You often worked with 3D animations and photoshop, as it was the easiest way to display your products without them actually being in front of you.

“Basically, I wanted the colour and the design to represent the details of the line,” you began. “It’s about maintaining skin purity and youth—all while using natural, organic products. So, when you look at what lavender symbolises, it represents purity, grace, devotion and calmness. I wanted a simple look—no complicated patterns or fonts, so I came up with this.” You double clicked the file and a jpeg image opened, showing five different bottles standing in a line all in a lavender colour along with the name of the product—simplicité—in gold font on the middle of some of the bottles and on the top, depending what the shape of it was.

“Wow,” she said, getting closer to your computer. “I really like it. You’ve nailed it again.”

You smiled, proud at your own work.

“Good thing you’ve memorised what to say because Mr Ren is coming down here right now.”

Your smile immediately dropped as you had fully realised what Emily had said. “What?” Was the only word that escaped your mouth.