Chapter 31

You heard your father call your name from downstairs. "The cops are here and they want to speak to you."

What? You quickly stood up, making your way to the front door. You couldn't tell if your dad was playing a joke on you for your birthday, or if the police had actually shown up at your house.

You arrived at the bottom of the stairs. It wasn't a joke. The police had actually asked for you. "We understand that you had a collection of paintings that were stolen from you by a Mr Liam Richardson."

"Yes," you said quickly. "What's happening?"

"Liam Richardson has been arrested over the charges of larceny." Three men walked into your house, holding different paintings which you recognized as yours. You hadn't seen them in ages. "These were all the paintings of yours that we could find in his possession."

"Oh my god," you said. "How did you do this?"

"We've been working on this case for a few months now and we finally found the evidence to take him down."

"Oh my god," you said again. "Why wasn't I told?"

The police officer paused. "We were given strict instructions to keep this secret. We also can't disclose any information with you as well."

"Oh, okay." You didn't really care, you were just happy to have your artwork back. "Thank you so much."

"It's not a problem." They kept unloading more paintings from their van, you had almost forgotten just how many paintings your ex stole from you.

It was the best possible birthday present you could have asked for. Not only did you get your art back, but your asshole of an ex got punished for it. Already, you had two presents.

Looking at your paintings, you knew deep down who had done it. The police wouldn't have ever cared about a case like this unless they were getting paid an insane amount of money, you were aware of that, you weren't stupid. It was obvious that Kylo was behind it, but you knew it wasn't an act to get you back, he was working on it for a while, the policeman said so himself.

"Happy birthday," your mother said, holding a plate with a stack of waffles on it, a tradition of yours.

You smiled. "Thank you."

"Twenty-five now. How does it feel?" Your dad said.

"It feels—old."

Your dad laughed. "If you're old, then I'm a dinosaur, love."

You smiled as you looked at the floor. You needed to call him. Granted, it wasn't going to be good for you mentally, but you had to thank him for it, regardless of any harsh feelings towards him. You needed to do it.

You stepped outside onto the porch as the phone began to ring. It did so around four times before you got an answer.

"Hello?"

Hearing his voice somehow gave you comfort. You were shocked yet so happy that he picked up. You thought he would hate you at this point. "Hey."

"Are you okay?" Kylo said, panic present in the tone of his voice.

"The police showed up at my house today."

"What?" He said angrily. "What happened and don't tell them anything until you get a lawyer."

"Relax." You laughed. "I got my paintings back."

"Oh," he said, and you heard the sigh of relief that escaped his mouth. "That's—that's good, how did it happen?"

You let out a soft snort. "I don't know, they told me they were on strict instructions not to say who it was. One must wonder how much power and or money you have to have in order to keep policemen quiet over a case."