Chapter 17

"Mr Ren!" You shouted enthusiastically as you giggled. You were sitting on the floor outside of the bathroom, completely wasted.

"How long has she been here?" He asked the waitress.

"Half an hour," she said. "She ate her food, but then she kept ordering drink after drink and now she's here."

You groaned as you shut your eyes, preparing to fall asleep.

"I'll pay for the bill," he said and the waiter walked away.

"How did you even find me?" You whined.

"Your phone location was on." He knelt down onto the floor to reach your height. "Do you want to tell me what happened, honey?"

You shook your head aggressively.

"Do you want to go home?"

You nodded as you opened your eyes and squinted, surprised by how bright the light was. He held both of your hands while helping you stand up. Your legs were shaky and your vision was blurry.

Mr Ren gave the waiter a €100 bill. "Keep the change," he said as he ushered you towards the exit, directing you to his car. He helped you into the front seat gently, putting your seatbelt on for you as you closed your eyes. You were exhausted. He got into the driver's seat and started the car, putting the GPS on to get to the hotel. He didn't say anything, he let you sleep. He was probably fully aware of the fact that something bad had happened. You wanted him to know, but at the same time, you didn't want him to think you were weak. Two people made fun of you and you couldn't stand it. You were pathetic. But even then, that wasn't the thing that hurt you the most. What hurt you was the fact that Mr Ren wasn't even there to hear you present. You only did it because he asked you to, yet he didn't show up.

"You're in France and of all places, you go to a sushi bar?" Mr Ren said.

"I didn't want to do the speech," you said, completely ignoring his remark.

"I thought you did well."

"Well, what do you know? You weren't even there." You slurred your sentences.

Mr Ren only hummed.

"You were the only reason I did it in the first place," you said as you turned to look out of the window. "You and your stupid face and your stupid voice and—and–" You groaned very loudly as you facepalmed. "Why do you do this to me? You're my boss for fuck's sake."

He paused. "So, is that why you got drunk?"

"No. Yes. Maybe," you said as you frowned. "A little."

"What happened at the presentation, doll?"

"Don't call me that," you whined. "And maybe if you'd bothered to show up, you would know."

"So, you're just angry at me."

"No," you yelled. "The presentation was horrible, okay? I fumbled. I fucked up. I don't wanna talk about it."

"Really?" He said. "Because I heard you did very well."

"I didn't." You crossed your arms. "Not according to those two dickheads."

He laughed.

"It's not even funny," you said sternly as you began to tear up. Drunk you never knew how to control her emotions.

He parked the car at the hotel lot then stopped to look at you. "Honey," he said. "Look at me." You sniffled as you turned your head away from him. "Hey, come on." He brushed his fingers against your cheek, nudging your head towards him. You looked at him with glassy eyes. "Don't let two idiots make you feel like shit."