Chapter 21

You fluttered your eyes open, squinting at the bright sunlight. You were in Troy's apartment, in the guest room. You still hadn't figured out how you'd gotten here. Actually, you still hadn't figured out what had happened last night. You remembered throwing up on your boss, then passing out. Out of the whole night, the only part you remembered was the embarrassing one. You pulled the covers over your head, shielding yourself from the sunlight and groaning out of frustration. You felt like a vampire and you had the worst hangover in existence. No more alcohol for a while, you thought.

"Rise and shine," Troy sang as he came into your room.

"Please," you said groggily. "No Kylie Jenner. That meme died a while ago."

"God, how's the hangover?"

"I wanna die," you screamed into your pillow.

"It's okay," he said as he rubbed your back gently. "Kylo's getting you some breakfast."

That brought a burst of energy into your body. "Huh?"

"Yeah, he brought you here last night when you passed out," he said. "I heard him shout at me from behind the front door and I was like, no fucking way I'm letting the man who was with a new woman practicaly minutes after getting rejected when he confessed his feelings to my bestfriend. But then I saw he was with you, so I had to let him in."

"So, he dropped me off here?"

"Yeah," he said. "He called this morning to say he'd be bringing you breakfast just in case."

"Oh god," you said as you sat up. "I threw up on him."

"I know," he said. "He smelled like it. And you also still smell like it."

You sighed as you rested your head on the headboard.

"Please go shower," he said.

You rolled your eyes, but ultimately slid out of the bed lazily as you made your way to shower, doing as you were told.

You sat down at the kitchen counter, wearing one of Troy's shirts which was too big on you. You flinched as the door opened and Mr Ren walked in, holding a starbucks paper bag in his hand. You made eye contact from across the room and the both of you immediately froze, almost as if the two of you were scared of whatever movement or word you would react with. "Good morning," you said, breaking the silence. It was just you and him in the apartment. Troy had left for work.

He nodded as he made his way over to you. He placed the paperbag on the counter, proceeding to take his jacket off and hang it on the back of his stool, opposite you. "Do you want to talk about last night?"

You frowned as you looked at him, sighing before saying, "there was never any date." You tried to distract yourself by opening whatever he got you. A croissant. You took a bite out of it.

A faint smile crept up on the side of his mouth.

"You win. Okay?" You said. "You've moved on and you've got Millie and I'm still not over it. Are you happy?"

"I haven't won anything," he said as he crossed his arms.

"I have nobody," you said. "So, I'm pretty sure you have."

He paused. "She's my lawyer."

You froze as you took a sip of your coffee. "What?"

"Millie's my lawyer," he said. "I'm still finalising my divorce with my ex wife and she wants all my money, so we were trying to find a way through that. That's why Millie was at my apartment late at night."

"I–" you sighed as you covered your face with your hands out of embarrassment. "I feel so stupid."

"You're not stupid," he said. "I could've handled it better."